Wednesday 2 August 2023

Top 30 in 1995 Reviewed: Week 31

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 28 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1995 with my verdict on each record:


The intro to this record features vocals by a then unknown Dido who is the sister of Faithless member Rollo. After the release of "Insomnia" a couple of months prior I was ready for the Maxi Jazz rapping this time. Again the way it breaks down for the Maxi Jazz vocals is fantastic and then the complete change in sound when the beat kicks in following the vocals just makes the tune. I bought this single as well.

Verdict - Good


The 3rd and final Top 40 hit for Amy Grant who had last been in the Top 40 in 1991. It's a cover of the Joni Mitchell record and I believe this was the first version of this record that I heard. I remember thinking it was good to see the singer of "Baby Baby" back in the charts.

Verdict - Good


REM have got the organ out on this record. Bands like The Doors have proved that having an organ in a rock song can work really well. I'd say REM have done it too with this record, it's a ballad with falsetto singing which is something you'd have to get right.

Verdict - Good


No the French tennis player hasn't released a record, this is a different Mary Pearce. It was the first of 3 Top 40 hits for Up Yer Ronson ft Mary Pearce. Up Yer Ronson is named after a club night in Leeds. Good bit of house music.

Verdict - Good


The Lightning Seeds are one of those bands who have quite a few records that are still played regularly today. However this record isn't one of those and I don't think I've heard it since 1995. I have it down as the one about waving at the taxi's passing by. Always thought it was pretty decent.

Verdict - Good


I'm pretty sure I heard this record long before it got released as a single. It was because of hearing the album though as I've still not heard it to this very day. Therapy? were one of the last rock bands I stopped listening to before listening to only rave and this record was no doubt a factor.

Verdict - Good


We were into the latter stages of the Top 40 career of Soul II Soul by this point. They no longer had the same influence they had when they first broke though at the end of the 80s. That was more to do with how music in general had progressed, there was still room for Soul II Soul in 1995.

Verdict - Good


When I first heard this record I was quite surprised that it was a new record. I thought it sounded like it should be an older record. I still think it wouldn't have sounded out of place long before it was written, but does very much remind me of 1995 these days. It's one of those rare Paul Weller records that I actually like.

Verdict - Good


If ever there was a band who were well suited to their name it would be Leftfield because their music is basically leftfield. This was their 3rd Top 40 hit and possibly their strangest one. Strange in a good way though.

Verdict - Good


Whilst I generally have a favourable opinion of music from 1995 I'm also conscious that there was also rubbish in the charts that year with Robson & Jerome in particular that springs to mind. This was their Top 40 debut which came about after their Soldier Soldier characters sang it on the show.

Verdict - Rubbish Rubbish


It's becoming quite a familiar formula of covering a chorus of an old record with new rapped verses. Not a bad formula to have by any means. It was the first Top 40 hit for Method Man and the first time we saw Mary J Blige in the Top 10.

Verdict - Good


Reef were one of the reasons I stopped listening to rock music because I considered them to be too soft. I'm not going to pretend this record isn't soft, because it is. At the same time though it has much more excitement than their previous hits.

Verdict - Good


A Pet Shop Boys record where Chris Lowe takes lead vocals instead of Neil Tennant. I've always liked the Pet Shop Boys but never used to admit it. I do however remember at the time thinking that this record would be acceptable for a raver to like, more so than their other hits at least.

Verdict - Good


This was the record that made New Order a household name back in 1983. It was remixed and given a new lease of life in 1995 and it's got even more of an electronic sound to it if that's even possible. I guess it's a case of if it was made in 1995 this is what it would sound like and it's not lost any of its charm.

Verdict - Good


This record originally came out in 1991 but was remixed and made the Top 40 for the first time in 1995. I remember going to a disco at the time and the person putting it on assured me there would be plenty of rave/dance music. This was playing as I walked in and I thought it was a good start. I can't remember much else about the disco if I'm honest.

Verdict - Good


When PJ and Duncan performed "Tonight I'm Free" few would have predicted it would lead to a music career particularly after said record failed to reach the Top 40. When the novelty of PJ and Duncan making music caught on and led to an album I don't think too many people thought they'd have a 2nd album. Yet here they were with the lead single from their 2nd album. It sounds more polished which takes the fun out if anything.

Verdict - Rubbish


I'm not sure if you would classify Mozaic as a girl group or not. This is basically Paul Oakenfold doing a cover of the Dr Alban record but it's being fronted by a trio of females. As this was before The Spice Girls a girl group wasn't really seen as a bad thing.

Verdict - Good


I've already mentioned a memory of listening to the Chris Evans Breakfast Show one day on Radio 1 around this time and liking everything he was playing. This was another of those records that he played. It became the biggest hit to that point for TLC.

Verdict - Good


The lead track from this EP is "Hell Is Round the Corner". It uses the same sample as "Glory Box" by Portishead. It's therefore easy to make comparisons between the 2 records, but I would say they're both great in their own ways and it's a great sample to use.

Verdict - Good


I have a memory of listening to the Chris Evans Breakfast Show one day on Radio 1 at the time and liking everything he was playing on it. I remember this record being one of those that he played. It was the Top 40 debut for Dana Dawson and was her biggest hit.

Verdict - Good


The solo Top 40 debut for Edwyn Collins who had previous been in the Top 40 as part of Orange Juice. This record is all about the guitar, I love the way it basically repeats the lines that he sings. The rest of the guitaring is great as well.

Verdict - Good


It had been over 2 years since Shaggy topped the charts with "Oh Carolina" but took until this record for him to score his 2nd Top 40 hit. It's based on the Mungo Jerry record of the same name and features extensive vocals from Rayvon, the first act from Barbados to have a Top 40 hit. A fun record.

Verdict - Good


This was a question at a music quiz I went to years ago where we heard the clip and had to name the song. I confidently said to my team it was "Reverend Black Grape". When the quizmaster gave the answer as "In The Name Of The Father" I protested saying that was the obvious title but not the real title. It turns out I was wrong, it's a completely different song and they just both have that religious connection. Didn't stop me from liking this though.

Verdict - Good


This record was famously featured on the soundtrack to "Batman Forever". It's a crap film like all the Batman films are but the music is good. I love the intro/outro riff to this.

Verdict - Good


One thing that makes Corona different to your usual eurodance acts is that they have 3 big hits that could all claim to be their big hit. Not only that but each of those 3 are quite distinctive and not just soundalikes of what they've done before.

Verdict - Good


The biggest hit for Supergrass and the one they're best known for. I was already familiar with Supergrass courtesy of their previous hits and had them down as a bit of a moody band. I was therefore surprised at how uplifting "Alright" was. They're back to their moody selves on "Time" but are sounding a bit poundland Rolling Stones for my liking.

Verdict - Good Rubbish


"Kiss From A Rose" was originally a Top 40 hit in 1994 but was given a new lease of life when it featured in the "Batman Forever" soundtrack. I'd never heard "I'm Alive" until I bought the CD single of this. 

Verdict - Good Good


The Top 40 debut for Diana King and the record she is best known for. It was from the soundtrack to "Bad Boys", a film that has Will Smith in it. The fact it wasn't Will Smith making the record for the film might have indicated that he'd given up on music. Maybe that's why I like this.

Verdict - Good


If I had to pick a record to sum up the summer of 1995 then this would probably be it. This was also my favourite of The Outhere Brothers hits. 

Verdict - Good


Robbie Williams had left Take That by this point but his vocals were still present on the record. Howard Donald took lead vocals on this record which was unexpected given he was very much in the background prior to this. I hated it at the time, but now it's actually quite good.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 28/30, or 93%. Just PJ & Duncan and Robson & Jerome preventing a perfect score. Surely this week will never be beaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment