Thursday 31 August 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1999

Top 40

Best Song: Len - Steal My Sunshine

When it came to what was current commercial music at the time I don't think there was any record I was enjoying more than this one. I was listening to it all the time. It was also pretty much the only record that me and anyone who got into my car could all agree was good.

Worst Song: Martine McCutcheon - Talking In Your Sleep

I never thought I would get so upset about the death of Tiffany from Eastenders. It wasn't because a make believe person had died, it was because it allowed the actress who played that make believe person to launch a music career. This was her 3rd Top 40 hit that year and it was a dreadful cover of a 70s record that I've never thought much of.

Top 40 Review

1999 was the year I first noticed how bad the charts had become by Christmas time. My initial theory was that it was because the 21st century was about to start until I saw a similar pattern in 1990.

None of the records in the Top 40 were Christmas hits. The Christmas number one went to Westlife who were still a relatively new boy band who were topping the charts with everything they released. 

Over a quarter of the Top 40 was taken up by boy bands (Westlife, Boyzone, 5ive), girl groups (B*Witched, Atomic Kitten), mixed gender cheesy pop (Steps, S Club 7, Vengaboys) and former boy band/girl group members (Robbie Williams, Mel C). We do however get points from 5ive and Robbie Williams from that lot.

The 2 big anomalies of 90s music (Cliff Richard and Daniel O'Donnell) were both present and get no points. Some old records returning (John Lennon, Queen, Europe) plus a bunch of people reviving "It's Only Rock n Roll". I've given half marks to Queen and John Lennon.

Then there's the inevitable novelty hits (Cuban Boys, Mr Hankey, Lolly) which all get zero points and we've now covered half the Top 40.

On a more positive note we get full marks from the 2 garage records by Artful Dodger ft Craig David and DJ Luck & MC Neat. The only other record not yet mentioned to get full marks is "If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time" by R Kelly.

A couple of the dance records are alright but we also have some of the pretty abysmal dance records such as "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65 and "King Of My Castle" by The Wamdue Project. The only rap record was a Will Smith one.

In summary there was lots of crap in the Top 40 and much of it had previously been in the Top 20 which I'd already reviewed. A poor score was inevitable.

Score: 15.5

Table

It's almost at the bottom for the 20th century years so far:



No comments:

Post a Comment