Thursday 3 August 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 2004

Top 40

Best Song: 3rd Wish - Obsession (Si Es Amor)

I remember this doing the rounds on the music channels at the time but didn't realise until sometime later that it got into the Top 40. A few months later came their next single "I Am" and I bought that single, the last single I bought but it never made the Top 40. This tune also featured on the CD. I remember finding it quite refreshing at the time. 

Worst Song: Jamelia - DJ

Jamelia was one of those artists I tried to get into when I was going through my R&B phase because her music was considered R&B. Eventually I conceded I didn't like any of her records which was around the same time this came out. It's pop disguised as R&B really.

Top 40 Review

When doing the best year search 2004 turned out to be the best year of the 21st century by some distance. How was the Top 40 by Christmas though?

It was the final Christmas charts that was based on physical sales alone. There was just one Christmas song in the charts which was a remake of "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid 20 which marked 20 years since the original.

R&B was the main genre in the charts and I was still just about in my R&B phase. The only R&B record aside from 3rd Wish which I actually like is "My Boo" by Usher. It was part of a double a-side with "Confessions Part II" which wasn't so good.

There was also sizeable amount of rap in there but the only ones I like are "Drop It Like It's Hot" by Snoop Dogg featuring Pharrell and "You Can Do It" by Ice Cube featuring Mack 10 & MS Toi. The latter was originally out in 1999.

I do recall around this time me and a friend who was also into rap and R&B were discussing that there was very little in the way of decent new stuff.

As I was getting more alienated with the modern rap and R&B I was getting back into dance music. However the dance records in this Top 40 was cheesy nonsense and none of them get points. It did however introduce me to Eric Prydz whose other music is a lot more credible than "Call On Me" which he doesn't even like himself.

Both Green Day and Blink 182 are in this Top 40 but both bands were past their best by this point in my opinion so neither get any points.

The only other source of points that's yet to be mentioned comes from Gwen Stefani with her solo debut hit "What You Waiting For". I thought all her solo records from this era were pretty good.

No surprisingly high score this time round, but as 2005 was round the corner and I have that down as the year music died it's what I expected really. 

Score: 5

Table

It's an almighty drop from the best year score but 2004 still had the 4th best Christmas charts of the 21st century. I'm glad I've got no more 21st century years left to do:



No comments:

Post a Comment