Sunday 13 August 2023

Top 30 in 1993 Reviewed: Week 33

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1993 with my verdict on each record:


I don't remember Green Jelly having another hits apart from "Three Little Pigs". This is a cover of the Sex Pistols record but with the lyrics changed to a Flintstones theme with them singing they want to be Fred Flintstone. Musically it's not a bad cover and lyrically it's not as funny as it's supposed to be. 

Verdict - OK


After making her name as singer on some Massive Attack records, this was the Top 40 debut of Shara Nelson as a solo artist. I can't say this record does anything for me, I find it rather boring. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The not so well remembered follow up to "Two Princes". I remember it though. It's an uplifting number that's pretty catchy, but it's difficult to overlook the fact it's no "Two Princes". There's nothing wrong with it though, but at the same time I can't see myself wanting to listen to it again.

Verdict - OK


At the time I recall someone accusing me of only liking this record because it was at number one. If anything that would have been a reason for me to not like it. UB40 do divide opinion, some say how can you take a reggae band from Birmingham who do lots of covers seriously whereas others say doesn't it really matter it's good to listen to. I fit the latter category.

Verdict - Good


This would be the last time we'd see both Craig McLachlan and Debbie Gibson in the Top 40. It's a cover of the Grease record and they were both in a London stage show version at the time. It was crap the first time round, this cover is even worse.

Verdict - Rubbish


It had been over 6 months since Whitney Houston had spent forever at the top of the charts with a dreary ballad from "The Bodyguard". Now here she is with yet another dreary ballad from "The Bodyguard". 

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Juliet Roberts who had previously sung on the Funk Masters record "It's Over" a decade earlier. Than man behind this record is Daniel Poku aka D-Mob, so it's an all English affair but sounds very much like a US garage record. It's no poor imitation either.

Verdict - Good


This was the only Top 40 hit for Goodmen, but they would return to the charts as Chocolate Puma, Rhythm Killaz and Riva. It's not very tuneful, but that's all part of it's appeal. 

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for Bad Boys Inc. I would describe them as being the Virgin Cola of the boy band world in the early 90s i.e. very much the 3rd biggest but way behind Take That and East 17. They were formed by Ian Levine who was producer on some early Take That records. One of the writers of this song was Damon Rochefort from Nomad, so it wasn't just Steve Mac from that group who went on to write crappy boy band songs.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 2nd of many Top 40 hits in the 90s for Daniel O'Donnell. How he managed to have so many hits in the 90s I have no idea. That said I guess Cliff Richard managed to have lots of hits in the 90s too. Maybe it's the same people buying those records.

Verdict - Rubbish


It had been just 6 months since Whitney Houston had been knocked off the top of the charts with "I Will Always Love You" after an eternity. The last thing we needed was another version of the song in the charts, but here we have a dance version. At least it's not as depressing as the Whitney Houston version but that's the only good thing about it.

Verdict - Rubbish


The melody to this record was basically taken from "Highwire" by Linda Carr. Given that M People called their debut album "Northern Soul" I would say that was deliberate too. Aside from that it's that generic dance sound that's a bit rubbish. 

Verdict - Rubbish


When I got into R&B one thing I struggled with was there being some records which sounded a whole lot of nothing but were hailed by some as being masterpieces. I made the effort to get into these records as I thought I might be missing something but I eventually concluded that I wasn't. This is one of those examples.

Verdict - Rubbish


I'm pretty sure when this came out Bon Jovi had become my 2nd favourite band. I also remember this came before "In These Arms" on their "Keep the Faith" album, but for the wrong reasons. It's because years later I was making a compilation and included the songs I particularly liked from the "Keep the Faith" album. "In These Arms" was one of them, but I captured the fading outro of this song when taping it, but this wasn't one I thought was good enough for that compilation.

Verdict - OK


This is an iconic 90s record that everybody remembers. My memory of this record was having a teacher called Mrs Hathaway who we started calling Mrs Haddaway which led to people randomly singing it in her lessons. That said, I've always considered it to be a bit crap and still think the same.

Verdict - Rubbish


Even though this wasn't the biggest hit for Dannii Minogue I would say this one is the best known. It came at a time when Kylie Minogue had left Stock Aitken & Waterman and was yet to launch her post-Stock Aitken & Waterman career. It's a pointless cover.

Verdict - Rubbish


This is the last Top 10 hit to date for Roxette. It was made for the Super Mario Bros film and has Tony from Hollyoaks in the video before he was Tony from Hollyoaks. It's since been disowned by Roxette themselves. I think they have a point.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Robin S singles discography is basically "Show Me Love", the "Show Me Love" remix, another "Show Me Love" remix, well you get the picture. She did however have another hit that wasn't called "Show Me Love" though. Listening to it though the "Show Me Love" remix with different lyrics would have been a suitable title.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember when this record came out it created a divide at school between the rock crowd and everyone else. It was singled out as an example of a crappy pop record by the rock crowd but everybody else seemingly loved it. Putting all that aside, my first thought when hearing this was have Snap changed their name to Culture Beat. 

Verdict - Rubbish


Yet another person making the transition from a soap to the music world. Michelle Gayle was on Eastenders and this was her Top 40 debut. You can tell they've tried to make it sound more credible than other soap stars music by going down the R&B route. Being British though it sounds like it could easily be a Mica Paris record which is never a good thing.

Verdict - Rubbish


Back in the late 80s when Madonna did "Cherish" and "Dear Jessie" I had quite a positive impression of Madonna. In the early 90s though I absolutely couldn't stand her. Shit like this reminds me of why I couldn't stand her.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Gabrielle and perhaps her best known hit. I remember being in 2 minds about this record at the time. It didn't make a good impression on me initially but it grew on me. Neither a good or bad record really.

Verdict - OK


The lead song from this EP is "Boom Shack-A-Lak" which is the tune Apache Indian is best known for. I guess I'm not overly keen on other Apache Indian records because none of them are anywhere near as good as this.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Chaka Demus & Pliers. This was one of many more radio friendly reggae records that charted in 1993. It's almost the blueprint on how to make a record reggae style.

Verdict - Good


One thing I remember when this record was out was that I'd learned the rules that if you were a rock and metal fan you weren't supposed to like anything that wasn't rock and metal. I remember that because I couldn't help but like this record despite those rules. I like the way the pause in the record gets longer each time.

Verdict - Good


When this record first came out, not only did I think this was a great song, I also thought Bitty McLean was a great name. This led me incorporate his name into the lyrics when I sang along just so I could acknowledge what a great name it is.

Verdict - Good


I remember someone at school at the time listing 4 Non Blondes in their Top 10 bands and we all reacted by saying what the fuck? None of us liked it, even it's composer Linda Perry doesn't like it. 

Verdict - Rubbish


Take That were undoubtedly the most popular group amongst females at school in early 1993, but one thing I could smile and say was they were yet to have a number one. Then the inevitable happened with this going straight in at number one. It's a terrible record.

Verdict - Rubbish


If memory serves me correctly (and it does tend to mislead me) this was the last dance record I truly got into before I became strictly rock and anti-pop. It treads that fine line where it's clearly a commercial dance record but is credible at the same time. 

Verdict - Good


When this record topped the charts I remember somebody saying to me that I must be pleased, unaware I'd long moved on from being a Queen fan by this point. Even if I was still a Queen fan though I'm not sure I would have liked this. It's basically Freddie Mercury's voice put over some generic eurodance crap.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 10/30, or 35%. It's the joint worst week of the 90s to date again.

No comments:

Post a Comment