Sunday 11 February 2024

Top 30 in 1994 Reviewed: Week 7

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1994 with my verdict on each record:


It's been said that Robbie Williams never really cracked America because his name was too similar to actor Robin Williams. You could also say that Garth Brooks never really cracked the UK because his name is too similar to footballer turned pundit Garth Crooks. This was the first of 3 Top 40 hits for him and his highest charting. I would say the reason his popularity in America was never replicated over here was because his music's too American.

Verdict - Rubbish Rubbish


The 4th and final Top 40 hit to date for Captain Hollywood Project. Ironically the best music he's done in my opinion came after this. I can't say I'm overly keen on this record, just your typical eurodance singing/rapping record that's quite cheesy and generic.

Verdict - Rubbish


We're still in the wilderness years for Texas where they were still having minor hits that nobody remembers. There would however be a 3 year gap after this record until they would return to the Top 40. I can't say I think much of Texas generally speaking, but these minor hits from this period are particularly awful.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 solo debut for Carleen Anderson who had previously been singer with the Young Disciples. It's a smooth acid jazz record with a bit of a twist to it, almost like the record is having a nervous breakdown itself. That's not a criticism, it's what makes the record.

Verdict - Good


When the Essential Mix first began in late 1993, the first mix was done by Pete Tong and the first tune he played was a dance version of this. It was the 2nd Top 40 hit for Eternal. Amongst it's songwriters is Eddie from Charles & Eddie. Despite being written by Americans though it still sounds inferior to American R&B.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the 6th and final single from East 17's debut album "Walthamstow". It could be argued that being the final single from an album that was nearly a year old was what stopped it from getting the Christmas number one, but we all know they achieved that the following year. Like with most East 17 record, this one gets the thumbs up from me.

Verdict - Good


This was the Top 40 debut for the Gin Blossoms which came just after the death of band member Doug Hopkins who wrote this record. It's also their highest charting hit to date. It originally appeared on their debut album back in 1989. Not a bad record.

Verdict - OK


It had been 4 years since D:Mob had been in the Top 40 and this was the last Top 40 hit to date for D:Mob. Cathy Dennis had several Top 40 hits in those 4 years but there would be a gap between this and her next Top 40 hit. It sounds out of place in 1994 really and isn't the best.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the Top 40 debut for Joe Roberts who I see as being another Kenny Thomas. Not because they both have blokes names as surnames, but because they are both decent enough singers but are singing over very bland music. 

Verdict - Rubbish


Rozalla in 1994? she was back with a 2nd album and this O'Jays cover was the lead single. It was also taken from the movie "Carlito's Way" which is a movie I like. I can't say the same for this record though, just sounds a karaoke version of the original.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Elastica which on reflection sounds like a warm up to their 2nd Top 40 hit "Connection". I've always thought that Elastica were rather overhyped for a band who only had 3 Top 40 hits to their name, but I would say I also think they were overhyped because they were shit.

Verdict - Rubbish


You may be expecting this to be a cover of the Stevie Wonder record, but it isn't. It's an original composition written by Shara Nelson along with Prince Be from PM Dawn who's Top 40 career was over by this point. It's a bit bland if I'm honest.

Verdict - Rubbish


After the re-issue of "Little Fluffy Clouds" a couple of months prior, The Orb re-issue "Perpetual Dawn" which failed to reach the Top 40 when first released in 1991. It's an ambient house record with a bit of reggae influence in there. It's all about the funny noises though. Great tune.

Verdict - Good


The 6th of 8 Top 40 hits to date for Richard Marx and the last time he'll feature as his final 2 hits never made the Top 30. Richard Marx has the talent for making soft records very listenable which is evident in his 2 big hits. He couldn't sustain it with this record though, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for The Cranberries and their joint highest charting single. It also gave them their only American Top 10, something they never managed to achieve in the UK. I guess its a catchy enough record but I can't say I've ever liked it. The singing in particular is not to my taste

Verdict - Rubbish


Sometimes songs can remind us of the most unlikely things, and in the case of this record it reminds me of Timmy Mallett. I should elaborate, back in the 90s I would go on Britannia flights where you could plug your headphones into the armrest and listen to the radio. The presenter was Timmy Mallett. I can't remember how long the show lasted, but it would keep on being repeated. One of the records played on there was this. I can't actually remember any other records played on the show though. I've not heard this for a while but I have to say it hasn't aged well. I did used to like it, but am finding it pretty average now.

Verdict - OK


I liked a lot of the reggae pop music of 1993 and particularly liked the first two Chaka Demus and Pliers hits. I draw the line at this record though. I hated it at the time, I remember someone asking a question about this record to a group of people and my response was I don't care about shitty pop music with my answer being seconded by someone else. My opinion on this record hasn't really changed.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 3rd Top 40 hit for Culture Beat and their final Top 10 to date. The success of this record is clearly off the back of the success of "Mr Vain" and is long forgotten now. It just sounds like hundreds of other throwaway eurodance records.

Verdict - Rubbish


I'm not a fan of the first two Haddaway hits but will concede they were fun records so could understand the appeal to others. I therefore found it baffling that his next hit would be this depressing number. It still managed to reach the Top 10 though. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" came out in 1991 but it wasn't until 1994 when this single was released that gave the Red Hot Chili Peppers their first Top 10 hit in the UK. I loved the album and went through a period where I wasn't really listening to anything else. 

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Deep Forest and their highest charting hit. I always liked this tune but had no idea what it was for years. Once I did find out what it was it didn't take long for me to go out and buy the album, though the strength of other records of theirs also contributed to that decision. 

Verdict - Good


I always thought this record was shit at the time. Then I heard it again a couple of years later and it sounded even worse as it was slower than I remembered. Then I discovered the man behind Reel 2 Real was Erick Morillo, a credible DJ and thought maybe this is credible music. Who was I trying to kid, it was cheesy commercial rubbish that was made to sell by the bucket loads. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Wendy Moten and the only one to reach the Top 30. It was taken from her self titled debut album which had come out 2 years earlier. I feel like this record should be from a movie but it appears not to be. It's a slow R&B ballad, records like this do have their place and probably worked best in the 90s but it's just not my cup of tea.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember this being on my list of non-rock records I liked at the time. Its one of those records that has a great sing along chorus which pretty much makes the record. It's very much of its time too which is also a good thing given it was the 90s.

Verdict - Good


I found it quite odd to see these 3 artists collaborate on this record but at the same time it seemed a logical collaboration in part because all 3 artists have had their fair share of bland records. It should therefore be no surprise to find this is a bland record.

Verdict - Rubbish


This had been a Top 40 hit for Clivilles & Cole a couple of years earlier and they produced this Aretha Franklin cover. So what we basically have is Clivilles & Cole redoing their record but having Aretha Franklin sing on it instead. Can't go wrong with that.

Verdict - Good


This was the 2nd Top 40 hit for Celine Dion and is a cover of the Jennifer Rush record. I almost feel like this record was made for Celine Dion to cover. It doesn't really sound any different to the original at all. I don't like the original, or any version I've heard for that matter.

Verdict - Rubbish


It had been 3 years since Enigma topped the charts with "Sadeness (Part 2)" and this was their next Top 40 hit. I would say this is a more radio friendly record than it's predecessor, it has a pretty catchy hook and really easy on the ears.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Toni Braxton and her joint highest charting single to date. It was written by Babyface who wrote the majority of her hits. It's not a bad record, just a bit slow and too much of a ballad for my liking. It has the proper 90s music factor to it though.

Verdict - OK


If I was to pick the most bland and generic dance record of the 90s then this would be a strong candidate. It was the Top 40 debut for D:Ream and their biggest hit and possibly the only hit many people remembered. They had a few more equally bland hits though.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 9.5/30, or 32%. We're slipping now.

No comments:

Post a Comment