Thursday 15 February 2024

DJ Shadow - Our Pathetic Age (2019)


With this album coming 3 years after his previous effort it meant those 3 years were the shortest gap DJ Shadow had between albums.

This album was also the longest album DJ Shadow had with it being a double album. Quite a strange choice given we're in an era people are more likely to listen to single tracks rather than albums. Also as I listened to the album on the internet it was more like one long album than a double one.

There is however a clear distinction between the 2 discs. The first one is all instrumental and the seconds features guest rappers.

This concept does make sense, DJ Shadow made his name doing instrumental hip hop but at the same time having rappers with a producer who can clearly produce behind them is surely a good thing.

Generally speaking I prefer my instrumentals to vocal tracks so it's quite ironic that I didn't really get into the album until the vocal tracks kicked in. 

The instrumental part isn't bad but nothing really stands out on it. This is the first time I've ever heard the album and it could grow on me, but it sounds like it's all been done before except not as good as it was done in the past.

We have some decent rappers on there such as Nas and De La Soul and I feel they are complimented by the production of DJ Shadow. I finally find myself enjoying the music and thinking this is how rap should be. It's just unfortunate you have to wait so long to get to it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment