Thursday 29 February 2024

Snoop Dogg - Bush (2015)

 


The Snoop Dogg album I picked as one of my favourites was his debut "Doggystyle". Of all the artists I picked, Snoop Dogg was by far the most prolific album wise. There was also I time when I had every Snoop Dogg album but that ended in 2009 with "Malice N Wonderland". 

One main criticism of Snoop Doggs follow up albums to his debut in the 90s was that he didn't have the best producers behind him. His career picked up again when he reunited with Dr Dre but then when he released 2002s "Paid That Cost To Be Da Bo$$" he made a point of not having Dr Dre produce any tracks to show he was just as capable of making a good record without him.

Enter The Neptunes who produced several tracks on that album. They were just about the hottest producers at the time so it was almost inevitably a success.

On his "Bush" album he's reunited with The Neptunes who this time have produced every track. You may therefore be thinking it must be a good album then. I on the other hand am thinking no, bad album.

Back in 2002 we had Nerd, essentially The Neptunes as a band, who were pushing music boundaries and Pharrell was the face of this as well as being known to pop up on various Neptunes productions with the odd noise or throwaway line. By 2015 Pharrell had become best known for the god awful "Happy". I recall listening to his follow up singles at the time, all I really remember are pointless appearances from the likes of Kelly Osbourne and Miley Cyrus on them as well as the fact they were fuckin awful.

This serious downfall in terms of quality for Pharrell is reflected on this album. I did think maybe Chad Hugo was the talented one and that Pharrell couldn't make a decent record without him. The presence of Chad does little to enhance the quality, but given the success of the shit music Pharrell was making maybe this was intentional.

Of course Snoop Dogg isn't a rapper you're supposed to take too seriously. He can get away with things other rappers can't because it's just Snoop being Snoop. This album is poor though and I don't think I'll be listening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment