Thursday 1 February 2024

2005: The End? - May

A bigger proportion of Top 40 hits in May appeared on Top of the Pops compared to previous months with nearly half of them appearing. Once again we had more indie/garage rock records than any other genre but the bulk of them didn't get an appearance on Top of the Pops.

One such record that didn't appear was this months worst record which is "You're Speaking My Language" by Juliette & The Licks. This was actress Juliette Lewis making a garage rock record which translates as the genre has now become so commercial they're all jumping on the bandwagon, even non-musicians.

A number of these indie bands such as Athlete, Bloc Party and Maximo Park would get slated on the MTV comedy "Strutter" and rightfully, I too thought they were terrible. I have however given a half mark to one record that got slated which was "In the Morning" by The Coral which I don't find too bad.

We had more rap and R&B on Top of the Pops than indie music which on paper sounded a good thing. It was a mixed bag though. Rap wise the ones I liked were all from 2004 albums I own which was "Signs" by Snoop Dogg, "Mockingbird" by Eminem and the double a-side "Get Low / Lovers And Friends" by Lil Jon. 

R&B wise the only one I liked was "Lonely" by Akon. The rest was really pop music under the R&B tag plus Stevie Wonder being far past his best.

One has to look to the dance music to find the best record which is "In My Arms" by Mylo. I liked it so much I made it the ringtone on my phone.

Elsewhere we have "So Many Times" by Gadjo featuring Alexandra Prince which I enjoyed listening to at the time, "Blue Water" by Black Rock featuring Debra Andrew which is decent and "Believe" by The Chemical Brothers which was different but good.

The last of the Elvis re-issues also came this month with "A Little Less Conversation" which I like. Cliff Richard was also in the charts with "What Car" and I've forgotten how that goes already.

Here's a list of the records with the best on top, worst at the bottom and the good ones in green, OK ones in amber and rubbish ones in red (and in no particular order):








































































Score: 19%

Here's a look at the chart:


Slight improvement over April but only a half mark in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment