Thursday 1 February 2024

Erol Alkan - Fabriclive 77 (2014)


 

The Erol Alkan album I picked in my favourite albums was his "Bugged Out Mix/Bugged In Selection" from 2005. The "Bugged In Selection" included some pretty weird records and the point was these were all records that had nothing to do with clubbing and actually turned out to be the CD I'd listen most by far out of the 2.

This Fabriclive mix he did though very much of the "Bugged Out" variety though. It came at a time when I was still going out to see Erol Alkan play and on that basis it does sound quite familiar to me.

Erol Alkan is one of those DJs who has always made a point about staying underground and was therefore unlikely to go down the more lucrative EDM route.

One thing of note that's different to the "Bugged Out Mix" is that he has tunes of his own in the mix this time. I do recall around this time listening to his actual tunes on YouTube and liking them.

Also amongst the artists that feature on the compilation are Andy Meecham of Bizarre Inc fame and Tom Rowlands of Chemical Brothers fame. You start to get the impression this isn't so much showcasing young new talent, more the old guard making new tunes. That's no bad thing, if the kids are making awful EDM music then it has no place on this album.

It's not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination but it follows the formula of several compilations I was buying 15 years ago which is simple no nonsense house music. Sometimes that's exactly what I want to be listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment