Thursday 29 February 2024

25 Years Since.... February 1999

Wow 25 years since the last year of the 20th century, these were the tunes I was enjoying then:

Cassius - Cassius 1999


France had given us the biggest dance record of 1998 with "Music Sounds Better With You" by Stardust. This no doubt opened the gates for other French acts to make their mark in the UK.

The first of these French acts to have a hit in 1999 were Cassius. This record was quite groundbreaking really, I'd never heard anything like it before. It felt like one of those records I'd been waiting to hear all my life.

Armand Van Helden ft Duane Harden - U Don't Know Me

This chart topper was a sign of just how popular dance music was becoming. At first I thought it was George Michael singing on the record but it isn't, it's Duane Harden.

I recall discussing this record with someone who'd only just got into dance music, again another sign of the growing popularity of dance music given I couldn't imagine this person listening to dance music previously.

Armand Van Helden was one of the biggest DJs at this point. 

The Divine Comedy - National Express

The biggest hit for The Divine Comedy. I found it hilarious that there was a record about a bus company. It also made me question which National Express routes do they serve crisps and tea on? None of the routes I've ever used.

Inner City - Good Life (Buena Vida)

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of remixes. More often than not they ruin the original and very rarely are they an improvement on the original. This record is an exception to that rule.

Originally coming out in the acid house days in 1988, the music had evolved a lot in the decade that followed. This remix ensured it would sound out of place on a dancefloor in Ibiza in 1999.


Roger Sanchez presents Twilight - I Want Your Love

Roger Sanchez was already a big name on the DJ circuit but this was his Top 40 debut. It heavily samples the Chic record of the same name.

I'm pretty sure I first heard this in 1998 and associate it more with 1998 than 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment