Thursday 30 December 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2010

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Eminem - Not Afraid

Picking the best song for 2010 was more a case of which Eminem record do I choose. He was in that unique position of still making music that I liked and still getting into the Top 40. This one beats his other hit "Love The Way You Lie" because whilst it is a good record, it doesn't get ruined somewhat with Rihanna singing on it. 

Worst Song: Lady Gaga ft Beyonce - Telephone

Destiny's Child were probably the worst group around the turn of the century and Beyonce as a solo artists was even worse. Lady Gaga was probably the biggest culprit in doing shitty electropop music in this era. Combine the 2 together and you get something that is inevitably shit.

Top 40 Review

I'd been writing off chart music for some time by 2010. To ensure I wasn't missing any hidden gems I started the year by listening to all the new entries to see if there's anything I like. I quickly started losing the will to live by hearing the terrible music that was charting and gave up by around February.

I also recall when I was picking the record of the year I found there to be very few records I actually liked. It does however seem most of those records are in this chart.

We have "Nothin On You" by BoB ft Bruno Mars which was the debut for both artists. They've both been responsible for some pretty terrible records since, but I like this one.

Most R&B singers had moved onto electropop by this point, but Alicia Keys stuck with R&B and did "Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart". I'm surprised this was charting in 2010, I thought it was earlier than that.

From the EDM world I do quite like "Stereo Love" by Edward Maya ft Vika Jigulina. The rest of the EDM records from David Guetta and co are crap though.

Electropop is the biggest genre in this Top 40 which is mostly crap but there are a couple of records which I think are OK. They're "Fire With Fire" by Scissor Sisters and "Dancing On My Own" by Robyn.

The only other record not to get a zero is "Passout" by Tinie Tempah which gets half marks. 

We end up with a score that's higher than expected, but still pretty poor.

Score: 6.5

Table

You need to go back to 2005 to find a better year than 2010:



No comments:

Post a Comment