Thursday 2 December 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2006

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Solu Music ft Kimblee - Fade

This was my record of the year for 2006, but it faced competition from "MyMyMy" by Armand Van Helden re-entering the charts which was my record of the year for 2004. This just about pips it, though on another day I may say the opposite.

Worst Song: Sandi Thom - I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker

My interpretation of this song is the writer wishes they were a youngster in another era when the music was much better. I can relate to that. I was a 20 something and this was supposed to be my era but much of the music coming out was shit. The problem is that this record is a prime example of how shit the music was and therefore contributed to this problem.

Top 40 Review

This was the year I discovered YouTube and found myself more inclined to listen to old music I hadn't heard for years on there than anything new. I still found the time to watch The Galaxy Chart on MTV Dance on  Sunday evening. That was a mixture of good and bad with presenter Jo Good making her feelings known when someone like Cascada appeared.

Dance music wise in this chart though, the only ones I like are the Solu Music and Armand Van Helden records. 

It was the era where turntables were out and guitars were in though with roughly half the Top 40 being guitar driven, much of which was indie music. The only guitar driven record I liked though was "Dani California" by Red Hot Chili Peppers which was a welcome return to form for the band after seemingly losing it on the "By The Way" album previously.

Another welcome return to form was for the chart topper Nelly Furtado. After the disappointment of her "Folklore" album she was back with "Maneater" the lead single from her "Loose" album.

After what seemed like a long wait for new music, Busta Rhymes was back with "Touch It". Not a bad record, but not the best and certainly not worth the long wait. The only rap record to get full marks was "Kick Push" by Lupe Fiasco.

Much like the previous year there was little in the way of actual pop music with "Who Knew" by Pink and "Buttons" by Pussycat Dolls ft Snoop Dogg really being the only ones and both are crap.

I count 7 football related records in the Top 40, I guess picking the middle of the year means it's going to clash with a major football tournament every other year. Once again, football and music don't mix so it's a collective zero for those records.

What I will say about 2006 was that good music was coming out that never got anywhere near the charts. This is a chart review though and therefore the score is pretty poor.

Score: 6

Table

It's the worst year of the 21st century so far and 2nd worst overall:



No comments:

Post a Comment