Friday 31 December 2021

25 Years Since....December 1996

Time for our final trip back to 1996:


East 17 ft Gabrielle - If You Ever

Without looking back through all these posts it's quite possible that East 17 have featured more than anyone else. 

This was released ahead of their greatest hits album which was sub-titled "the journey so far". Little did we know that journey was nearing the end. 

Chicane - Offshore

This was the Top 40 debut for Chicane, though he had been in the Top 40 the previous year as Disco Citizens. I must admit I don't remember this one being at the end of the year as it's very much a summer tune. Then again I may have heard it long before it charted.

It's one of those tunes you can chill out to or dance to. I'm certain this won't be the last time Chicane will feature in these posts either.

The Prodigy - Breathe

When The Prodigy did "Firestarter" earlier on in the year after much excitement of a new Prodigy tune it was a big disappointment. However, despite follow up "Breathe" taking a similar direction I actually like this one and bought the single.

Whilst "Firestarter" only had Keith's vocals on it, "Breathe" also featured vocals from original Prodigy MC Maxim. I don't think it's because of the vocals I like it though, the beats are so much better.

I remember this being the first tune of the night when I went to see them at Wembley Arena a few years ago and getting straight into it. That was one amazing show.

Mark Morrison - Horny

This was one of those records that I didn't really want to like but I couldn't help but like it. Mark Morrison may only be remembered for one song now, but this was pretty big at the time.

Another thing I remember around this time was Mark Morrison being the Wanker of the Week on The Girlie Show, the only feature worth watching on that show truth be told.


Faithless - Salva Mea

The intro to this record features vocals by a then unknown Dido who is the sister of Faithless member Rollo. It was the debut Top 40 hit for Faithless the previous year, but I never heard it until this re-issue.

After the release of "Insomnia" a couple of months prior I was ready for the Maxi Jazz rapping this time. Again the way it breaks down for the Maxi Jazz vocals is fantastic and then the complete change in sound when the beat kicks in following the vocals just makes the tune. I bought this single as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment