Thursday 23 December 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2009

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Prodigy - Warriors Dance

I was of the opinion that the Prodigy had little worth listening to after 1994. I'm not a fan of their change of direction with "Fat Of The Land" and "Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned" was nothing special. They were the only albums they had in those 15 years, but then came "Invaders Must Die" which gave them a new lease of life. This was amongst the better tracks on the album and is also their penultimate Top 40 hit to date.

Worst Song: Beyonce - Halo

In my student days I had many arguments about music with friends. One thing we could all agree on though was that Destiny's Child were dreadful. Then Beyonce went solo and made even worse music. Yet her popularity went through the roof with some thinking she's some sort of royalty and I just don't get it. This particular record reminds me of a barbecue where we had to suffer Capital Radio all day. Then one of the youngsters started playing their music starting with this. Other youngsters were singing along but I was thinking this is the biggest pile of crap ever.

Top 40 Review

In looking at the first week of July my intention was to get a Top 40 that was representative of the year in question. A combination of all downloads counting and the death of Michael Jackson meant there were 6 old Michael Jackson records in this Top 40. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Michael Jackson and I've heard all of these records far too many times which results in just a half mark for "Smooth Criminal".

I was making the effort to seek out new music in 2009 conscious of the fact my 20s were fast running out. I did find some, but none of it got anywhere near the Top 40.

The Prodigy weren't the only dance heavyweights who were just about still having Top 40 hits. Basement Jaxx had their last Top 40 hit to date with "Raindrops" which is solidly the 2nd best record in this Top 40.

Things were changing in the world of chart dance music though. The Prodigy and Basement Jaxx were on their way out but on their way in to chart domination were David Guetta and Calvin Harris. I've let my feelings be known on EDM many times on here so needless to say I don't like either of their records.

Electropop had now replaced indie as the dominant chart genre. It's a collective zero for all the electropop records and a collective half mark for the indie ones courtesy of "Fire" by Kasabian.

An album I did buy on the day of release in 2009 was "Relapse" by Eminem and he had a single off that album in the Top 40 with "We Made You". That's that albums equivalent of "Just Lose It" and "Without Me" i.e. a cheesy look at me I'm back sort of record that isn't my cup of tea. The only other rap record in this Top 40 was "Kiss Me Thru The Phone" by Soulja Boy Tellem ft Sammie which is shit.

In fact I can say the rest of the chart that I'm yet to mention is shit. 2 good and 2 ok records doesn't add up to a very good score.

Score: 3

Table

It's taken 47 years, but 1962 is finally off the bottom:



No comments:

Post a Comment