Thursday 16 December 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2008

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Ironik - Stay With Me

I was actually surprised this record charted. My memory of this record at the time was it appearing on Channel U quite often and I'd generally give it a listen when it was played. The chipmunk vocals are an acquired taste but as a happy hardcore fan I'm in no position to criticise. 

Worst Song: Alphabeat - Ten Thousand Nights

It had been over a decade since Aqua began inflicting us with their novelty pop and 8 years since they'd last troubled the charts. A new crappy Danish novelty act was long overdue. I do remember Alphabeat at the time and remember it only taking a few seconds to realise just how dreadful their music was. It's beaten off plenty of competition to be crowned worst song.

Top 40 Review

My memories of the singles chart begin in 1987. I think 2008 may have been where they ended. I have no recollection of the number one record at the time, "Closer" by Ne-Yo. I do remember Ne-Yo but never properly listened to any of his music. Whenever he'd appear on a music channel I'd change channels. I had nothing against Ne-Yo as such, there was just nothing about his music that made me want to listen to it till the end.

We've reached the point where indie music passes the baton to electropop for the dominant music genre. Another eye opener though is the number of artists who appear in this Top 40 more than once. Chris Brown appears 3 times and Coldplay, Ting Tings, Duffy, Madonna, Flo Rida and Nickelback all appear twice. It's zero's all around for those mentioned artists.

We have Scooters last Top 40 hit top date with "Jumpin All Over The World" which was contender for best song. It had been their first Top 40 hit in 5 years and I'm actually surprised other records of there's didn't chart.

Mint Royale are back in with "Singin In The Rain" courtesy of someone dancing to it on Britain's Got Talent. Given that association and that it's a cover of an old musical record it should be awful but I actually quite like it.

I'm hearing a lot of records for the first time and in most cases hopefully the last time. I have found one hidden gem. The record is "Hurricane Jane" by Black Kids. I'd never heard of them before and apparently they had another Top 40 hit too. 

Unfortunately that's as good as it gets. 

Score: 5.5

Table

2008 is slightly better than 2007 thanks in part to Britain's Got Talent. Never thought I'd say that:



No comments:

Post a Comment