Friday 31 December 2021

Top of the Pops New Year 2021

Top of the Pops is back once again for New Year. You can watch it on the iPlayer if you missed it, here's what happened: 


Becky Hill - Remember

David Guetta was back in the Top 40 this year and this was one of those hits, but it's just singer Becky Hill on her own today. It's therefore EDM crap minus the DJ.

Rag n Bone Man - All You Ever Wanted

We've started with the EDM record so inevitably we have a dreary ballad to follow up. I do actually know this record and it's normally more uplifting, but we're getting the acoustic version.

Mabel - Let Them Know

Now we have the EDM crap minus the DJ once again. Given that we always seem to have Mabel on these Christmas and new year Top of the Pops these days she's probably appeared on the show more times than her mother Neneh Cherry now. This is a truly dreadful record.

Time for a look back at the year:

Wham! finally got to number one
Olivia Rodirgo came from nowhere to top the charts
A postman did the Wellerman and everyone jumped on the bandwagon
Rupauls Drag Race and It's a Sin were on the TV
Griff became the rising star
Barry Gibb and Tom Jones topped the albums chart
Queens greatest hits sells even more

Years & Years - Starstruck

When I first heard Years & Years on TFI Friday I thought the tune they played wasn't bad. The ones I've heard since though have been terrible. I've heard worse, but this ones not to my liking either.

Sam Fender - Seventeen Going Under

It's a rare sight seeing electric guitars on Top of the Pops these days. If you're an indie music fan then this is pretty much all you've got in the Top 40 this year. 

Lola Young - Fake

More electric guitars, this time it's Lola Young who's never had a Top 40 hit. All the performances so far had been Top 40 record. This is fuckin miserable.

Another look back at the year:

Festivals got cancelled, but then a gig happened
Eurovision happened, Italy won 
We had a rap number one
A rapper joined Duran Duran on stage
Females won awards
Radio 1 big weekend happened
The World Cup happened
Dave and Billie Eilish had albums
Festivals happened and clubs opened

Billie Eilish - I Didn't Change My Number

Billie Eilish had Top 40 hits this year but not with this record. It's from Radio 1's Live Lounge, something I've always hated and I see it's still as shit as ever.

Mahalia ft AJ Tracey - Roadside

Another non-Top 40 hit. Mahalia has never had one and AJ Tracey has had several this year. Why not have AJ Tracey do one of his Top 40 hits instead.

Dermot Kennedy - Better Days 

Time for a dreary ballad. At least it made the Top 40 though.

Arlo Parks - Too Good

Never heard of Arlo Parks and she's never had a Top 40 hit. The music itself isn't bad but the singing is annoying me.

Another look back at the year:

Drake had a new album
Arlo Parks won the mercury music prize
Coldplay, Adele and Ed Sheeran had new albums
Elton John had his first number one in years
Abba made a comeback
25 years since the Spice Girls 

Ardee - Flowers (Say My Name)

I'm not going to pretend I like this record because I don't. To me though this is the sort of thing the youth of today should be listening to rather than bland rubbish like Ed Sheeran.

Ed Sheeran - Shivers

Just as I mention Ed Sheeran, here he is. I stand by what I said, this is bland rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment