Thursday 9 December 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2007

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Chemical Brothers - Do It Again

The Chemical Brothers music has been quite hit or miss over the years in my opinion. It therefore came as a surprise that in 2007 they were doing some of the best music they'd ever done. This their penultimate Top 40 hit to date and following single "The Salmon Dance" were so good that it prompted me to buy a Chemical Brothers album for the first time.

Worst Song: Rihanna ft Jay-Z - Umbrella

When Rihanna first came about in 2005 I predicted her career would last a year or so. Just over a year later when her single "We Ride" got nowhere near the Top 10 it looked like my prediction was right. Then came this, the first of many number ones and she's clocked up countless Top 40 hits since. I really don't get it. She's a terrible singer and just comes across as a stuck up celebrity with nothing relatable about her whatsoever. Yet not only do people buy her music they also buy whatever products she puts her name to that you see in the Boots window. As I was nearer to 30 than 20 by this point maybe this was one of the early signs I was out of touch with the youth.

Top 40 Review

My only really positive memories of modern music as it was in 2007 was a number of tunes from The Galaxy Chart. Dance music wise in this Top 40 though, the only other dance record other than the Chemical Brothers one was "The Girls" by Calvin Harris. To be fair this was pre-EDM and a record he made by himself before he started getting every man and his dog to sing on his records. It's still crap though.

Indie was still the dominant genre in the charts and nearly half the Top 40 is what could be described as guitar music. A couple of those were OK but none of them get full marks. Even the pop singers such as Avril Lavigne and Kelly Clarkson have that guitar music influence, but again it's crap.

Both Timbaland and Justin Timberlake appear twice in this Top 40, one of which is a collaboration. It's a good illustration of what had gone wrong with rap and R&B music by this point.

There are a couple of decent records from the world or rap and R&B though. I do quite like "Cupid's Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes which was a record I remember it standing out at the time as modern music I actually liked. I also quite like "Don't Matter" by Akon which I do remember existing, but I think this was the first time I actually listened to it from the beginning to the end.

I've now mentioned every record that gets full marks so the score is pretty poor. 

Score: 5

Table

2007 is joint bottom with 1962. I get the feeling we will have worse years ahead though:



No comments:

Post a Comment