Wednesday 10 July 2024

Top 30 in 1998 Reviewed: Week 28

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 26 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1998 with my verdict on each record:


This was the 12th and penultimate Top 40 hit for Stu Allan's commercial dance act Clock. This time it's actually an original composition following 4 covers in a row. I think people were losing interest by this point as it got no higher than 30. I was never interested in the first place though.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 2nd top 40 hit for Ricky Martin which came around halfway between his debut and his chart topping 3rd Top 40 hit. This was the official song of the World Cup. The number of Top 40 hits we were getting due to the World Cup is getting ridiculous now. Most of them were shit including this one.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Sweden based American singer Lutricia McNeal which was also her highest charting Top 40 hit. It was also the first Top 40 hit as songwriter for Rami Yacoub, one of Max Martins sidekicks. I did find it a little irritating at the time but I'm not minding it now.

Verdict - OK


The Top 40 debut for Leann Rimes. I once took part in a quiz where a question was who charted in 1997 with "How Do I Live" to which I confidently answered Leann Rimes. The answer was Trisha Yearwood who reached number 66 with it. Leann Rimes was in 1998 and is the better known version. Although not the first person younger than me to chart, I do recall a younger Leann Rimes charting making me start to think have I missed the boat already in my music career. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The original of this was the Top 40 debut for The Jungle Brothers which came 10 years prior to this 1998 remix. It was a hip house record originally. This remix is done in a similar way to the Jason Nevins remix of "It's Like That" by Run DMC. As that worked why not.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Ultra, the boy band who played instruments. I'd also say it's the record they're best remembered for, if anyone remembers them that is. Sounds like it could just as easily have been a 911 song.

Verdict - Rubbish


There was a pub near where I grew up that had live music at the weekend. When I say live music I mean a singer, ocassionally one with a guitar and a karaoke machine. They'd sing the classics, but this song immediately slotted into the sets and I recall one particular night I swear the singer did this song around 5 or 6 times. Needless to say I got sick of it very quickly.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the final Top 40 hit from the "When Disaster Strikes" album. I'm a fan of Busta Rhymes and particularly liked his previous hit "Turn It Up / Fire It Up". However the lack of aggression in this record means it doesn't reach the same heights and I can only really give half marks to it.

Verdict - OK


It had been 12 years since we'd last seen George Benson in the Top 40 and this collaboration with Mary J Blige where he was the guitarist was his final Top 40 hit to date. Mary J Blige had just about overtaken George Benson in terms of Top 40 hits. It's a pretty dull record though.

Verdict - Rubbish


When I first heard this record, I liked it. Then I started to hate it from hearing it all the time but started to like it again when the hype around Fatboy Slim started to die down. It was his 2nd Top 40 hit but the first that really made people notice,

Verdict - Good


I've now lost count of how many records charted due to the World Cup but here's another one. This was the theme music used for the World Cup by the BBC. The actual record has nothing to do with football though and it isn't bad.

Verdict - OK


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Destiny's Child which apparently was an answer to "You Make Me Wanna" by Usher. Both records were written by Jermanine Dupri and Manuel Seal and both records were crap. Still plenty more to come from Destiny's Child unfortunately.

Verdict - Rubbish


The film "Lost In Space" was out around the same sort of time as this record but as far as I can tell this record has nothing to do with the film. Although not their final Top 10 hit I would say this marked the end of the commercial peak of the Lighthouse Family. Like some other hits of theirs it's quite soothing.

Verdict - Good


More football music for the World Cup. No lyrics this time, instead it was taking a sample of music used in football and making a dance version of it. As you've probably gathered by now I'm not a fan of football music, but I actually don't mind this.

Verdict - OK


The highest charting Top 40 hit for Des'ree which was her penultimate Top 40 hit to date. It had also been 4 years since she'd last been in the Top 40. This record has been widely ridiculed for it's stupid lyrics and I'm inclined to agree.

Verdict - Rubbish


When I got into rap music properly a couple of years after this record came out, Dr Dre was a rapper I really got into and bought both his albums and was listening mainly to rappers associated with him. I considered myself pretty clued up on all things Dr Dre but it wasn't until a few years later that I realised this record existed. It seems a bit of an odd collaboration and once I became familiar with it I only really cared about the music rather than who was making it.

Verdict - Good


I remember watching the video to this and thinking what the fuck? It's a boy band trying to be gangsta rappers and is absolutely ridiculous. I stand by that, but at the same time I couldn't help but like it. I would say this is one of my guilty pleasures.

Verdict - Good


We'd already seen the beginning and end of Hollyoaks actor Will Mellor's Top 40 career in 1998. Now it was the turn of Coronation Street actor Matthew Marsden. It's a ballad and it is predictably crap, but he'd be back.

Verdict - Rubbish


We've had the BBC theme tune to the World Cup in the Top 40, now it was time for the ITV theme tune. It won the chart battle of the two and I'm inclined to think that this was the better of the two records. It's an interesting collaboration. It was the penultimate Top 40 hit to date for Jean Michel Jarre and was his first without "Oxygene" in the title. Apollo 440 had a few more hits to go. 

Verdict - Good


It had been nearly 4 years since the Beastie Boys had last been in the Top 40. The last time they'd been in the Top 40 they had hits to show they were to be taken seriously as a rap act. This is more of the same in that respect and this became their highest charting single to date. 

Verdict - Good


This brings back memories of the god awful TV show "Man O Man" that was hosted by Chris Tarrant. This was the theme music to that as I recall. The TV show and record suited each other though given how dreadful they both were.

Verdict - Rubbish


One of the big songwriting teams in the R&B world is Rodney Jerkins, Fred Jerkins and LaShawn Daniels. This was their first Top 40 hit as songwriters. Both Brandy and Monica had only been in the lower reaches of the Top 40 prior to this. I remember hearing how great Brandy's "Never Say Never" album was supposed to be and given I liked this song I decided to buy it. This song aside it really wasn't that great and I ended up selling it.

Verdict - Good


This was a cover of an Everything but the Girl record and knowing that fact I can tell that it is. I always thought of this record as being Billie Ray Martin mark 2. You may recall from my Billie Ray Martin reviews that I wasn't a fan and I'd say this was worse if anything.

Verdict - Rubbish


No prizes for guessing which Top 40 hit number this one was for Mansun. The song in question is "Legacy" and once again my training to shut any Mansun music out of my life was working as I have no recollection of this record. I really wasn't missing out.

Verdict - Rubbish


When I was reviewing the Finley Quaye hits coming into the Top 40 I thought Eagle-Eye Cherry would be just around the corner. Here he is with his Top 40 debut and best known hit. He's the brother of Neneh Cherry and his real name is Eagle-Eye believe it or not. The only positive thing I can say about this record is that's he's better than his sister, but that's not saying much.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the alternative of alternative England songs for the World Cup. It's a very non musical song that was nothing more than something for the fans to sing from the terraces. That's the very reason this record appealed to a number of people, but it didn't appeal to me.

Verdict - Rubbish


After topping the charts with "3 Lions" during Euro 96, Baddiel, Skinner and the Lightning Seeds were back for the World Cup in 1998 with a remixed version which was basically the same as the original but with different lyrics. I never liked the original.

Verdict - Rubbish


On May 31st 1998 we had the news that Geri Halliwell had left the Spice Girls. The same day B*witched topped the charts with this their debut single. They really couldn't have timed it any better. I immediately thought come back the Spice Girls all is forgiven. Actually I didn't because the Spice Girls weren't finished yet, but this is every bit as bad as your average Spice Girls record.

Verdict - Rubbish


The fist time I heard this record was on the radio one morning when I was half asleep and I remember later on that day thinking what was that good tune I heard on the radio earlier. I soon found out what it was. It was the solo Top 40 debut for Fugees member Pras so should really come as no surprise I'd like it given how good the Fugees were. 

Verdict - Good


Billie Piper became the youngest person to debut at the top of the charts at just 15 when this record came out. It raises the question how does one manage to top the charts at such a young age. The answer is go to the Sylvia Young Theatre school like pretty much every other British pop singer seemed to do.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 11/30, or 37%. Heading in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment