Sunday 7 July 2024

20 Years Since....Q2 2004

Here's the tunes I was enjoying 20 years ago:

Usher ft Lil Jon & Ludacris - Yeah


I was never a big fan of Usher, I always thought he was more the pop side of R&B. I was however a big fan of Lil Jon at the time and this was Lil Jons brand of Crunk&B.

There was a follow up collaboration between the 3 of them called "Lovers and Friends" which is equally as good.

Kanye West - Through The Wire

This was the Top 40 debut for Kanye West. The back story was that he was seen as too middle class to be a rapper so went down the production route instead. I can't say I particularly rate him as a rapper but thought the production on this was fantastic.

I bought his debut album which I liked, his 2nd album which didn't appeal so much and then I lost interest.

Twista - Slow Jamz

This record also had Kanye West and Jamie Foxx on it. The lyrical content is silly but then Twista raps so fast it's hard to make out what he's saying anyway.

It's the production that I really like on it though.

Faithless - Mass Destruction

The music of Faithless is quite experimental and has given mixed results. This record however was different and also one of the best records they've ever done.

It gets more aggressive as we get further into the record, but it's the music that does that and Maxi Jazz remains calm in his delivery. You need to really pay attention to notice that.

VS - Call U Sexy

I felt quite ashamed to like the Top 40 debut for VS, a manufactured pop band branded as R&B. However I found myself liking this follow up record even more. It's cheesy as fuck but thoroughly enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment