Sunday 2 June 2024

Air @ Royal Albert Hall

Around 2009 I came up with a long list of music acts I'd like to see live and Air were on that list. Then in early 2010 they played a gig in London but unfortunately I was busy doing something else that day. Later on that year they played 2 further gigs in London but again I was busy doing other things. Given they'd played 3 London gigs that year I thought I'd get plenty more opportunities to go and see them play. Little did I know it would be 14 years before I'd get the next opportunity.

Incidentally Fridays gig at the Royal Albert Hall was their 3rd one of the year in London. The first was at a much smaller venue earlier on in the year, the first I'd heard of it was the news that it sold out instantly. Then they also played at Royal Albert Hall on Thursday night. These gigs also sold out quickly but fortunately I was able to get a ticket.

I'm continuing to do gigs sober due to the rip off beer prices at these venues. A pint of beer at the Royal Albert Hall costs £7.80.

They were playing their debut full length album "Moon Safari" in full. Aside from a drummer, it was just the 2 of them on stage rotating between multiple instruments. When it came to "All I Need", no guest vocalist came out, instead they were doing minimal vocals themselves which made it better in my opinion. Similar story "You Make It Easy". 

After 50 minutes the album had been played in full but there was still plenty more of the gig to go. Not for some people though who were only seemingly interested in hearing "Moon Safari" and left once that was finished.

The bulk of the rest of the gig was tracks from the "Talkie Walkie" and "1000 Hertz Legend" albums. Both are solid albums which I own, but it was evident that "Moon Safari" is easily the best album. The only other tune they did was "High School Lover" from The Virgin Suicides soundtrack which is arguably their biggest track outside of "Moon Safari". They did a great performance of it and a few more people left once that had finished.

Overall it was a great gig and worth the 14 year wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment