Friday 31 May 2024

25 Years Since....May 1999

Wow 25 years since the last year of the 20th century, these were the tunes I was enjoying then:

The Honeyz - Love Of A Lifetime


This was the 3rd single for the Honeyz and by the time it was released Heavenli had left the group. As it only feels like yesterday I was making a post to mark 25 years since the Honeyz debut single it really shows how brief her time in the group during their glory years was.

The single version is slightly different to the album version and as a result I didn't consider this to be as good as their first two singles. However I think the album version is better than their first two singles.

Ruff Driverz Presents Arrola - La Musica

One thing I never did in the summer of 1999 was go to Ibiza. By the end of the summer I really wish I had been to Ibiza because it seemed the best summer to date to go there and I couldn't imagine any future summers being any better.

The reason was because of records like this. There were so many great summer tunes that were no doubt being played at the clubs it just really seemed the right time. The fact Ruff Driverz were more or less finished by the 21st century is one of many reasons why I think I was right about it being the best time to go to Ibiza.

Fatboy Slim - Right Here Right Now

Fatboy Slim was now a global superstar thanks to the success of "Praise You" which I considered to be his poorest effort to this point. He was back on form with "Right Here Right Now" though.

Although this is still technically a big beat record I don't think this sounds out of place in a house set and I do consider Fatboy Slim to be at his best when doing house sets as opposed to making records

Pete Heller - Big Love

One of many records that reminds me of Dave Pearce's Dance Anthems on Radio 1 on a Sunday night. It was also a tune I used to work out to when I finally decided to address how unhealthy I'd become since I'd left school and no longer had to do PE lessons.


Cassius - Feeling For You

The 2nd and final Top 40 hit to date for Cassius. This was a time before I knew that David Guetta existed and as such I was a big fan of French DJs/producers. It was different and interesting, almost going back to the disco era before it got too cheesy and evolving it from that point into the 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment