Sunday 30 June 2024

25 Years Since....June 1999

Wow 25 years since the last year of the 20th century, these were the tunes I was enjoying then:

Powerhouse ft Duane Harden - What You Need


On Christmas Eve 1999 I was in a pub that had MTV on and they were looking back to Ibiza in the summer of that year. I remember this record in particular featuring on the show and I how I regretted not going to Ibiza that summer and hearing tunes like this being played out loud.

Sugar Ray - Every Morning

Sugar Ray had been going for quite some time by this point and I remember seeing them perform on The Girlie Show a few years prior. This however was their Top 40 debut.

This is probably the only tune they're known for in the UK with just one more minor Top 40 hit to their name. I own 2 of their albums though including the one this is on.

Jamiroquai - Canned Heat

Jay Kay was the man who had it all as far as I could tell in 1999. He really knew how to make a tune that you couldn't help but love and had a car collection most of us can only dream of.

One criticism my friend had of this tune was it went on too long and maybe it does, but then there's always the radio edit.

Chicane - Saltwater

It's amazing how many dance records from 1999 remind me of Ibiza even though as mentioned I never went to Ibiza that summer. I remember seeing on Club@Vision that Chicane were doing a live PA at Privilege in Ibiza and showed us some footage which made me want to be there. 


Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue

When I transformed from rocker to raver in the mid-90s the Red Hot Chili Peppers were just about the last guitar band I was still listening to. After some time though I became a rave purist and more or less forgot about the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Then in 1999 I saw them appear on Top of the Pops with this comeback single. The first thing that struck me was Anthony Kiedis not having long hair anymore, but listening to this tune it just flows so well and I instantly loved it and ended up buying the "Californication" album.

No comments:

Post a Comment