Thursday 23 May 2024

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream (2017)


I picked the self titled LCD Soundsystem debut album as one of my favourites. It originated from me hearing "Losing My Edge". The album was perhaps more guitar driven than I expected but I soon grew to like it.

LCD Soundsystem grew in popularity over the years and then in 2011 after 3 albums, main man James Murphy decided to call it a day. They played their final gig at Madison Square Garden which lead to the film "Shut Up and Play the Hits" which documented this final gig. When I watched it at the cinema I saw how good LCD Soundsystem were live and regretted the fact I'd never gone to see them.

Fast forward to the start of 2016 and we had the news that LCD Soundsystem was back. They played some UK festivals that summer which could be watched on the TV/internet and I found myself watching these performances a lot.

I couldn't wait for them to play a gig in their own right in the UK. Before they did this though they recorded a new album. Then in 2017 I finally got to see them play in Alexandra Palace and they were excellent.

Despite my super excitement about the return of LCD Soundsystem, one thing that I didn't do was listen to their new album. At least I don't remember listening to it.

It's 10 tracks which are all quite lengthy with the final track being just over 12 minutes long. One thing that's true about all the previous LCD Soundsystem albums is they took me a while to get into but once I did I loved them.

The problem with listening to this album for the first time is that I've not reached that point yet. It did take a while for the album to get going, but I did find myself enjoying it on the whole and then once I reached the end I completely forgot what I'd just been listening to.

Maybe I did listen to it when it got released but didn't give it enough listens to truly get into it or remember any of it. I see potential for me to truly like it, but we'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment