Wednesday 29 May 2024

Top 30 in 1998 Reviewed: Week 22

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 26 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1998 with my verdict on each record:


Saturday Night Fever was one of the biggest films of the 70s and in 1998 it turned into a West End musical. The star of that musical was Adam Garcia so therefore he did a cover of the Bee Gees record to promote it. Very much a karaoke version.

Verdict - Rubbish


Shawn Colvin made her Top 40 debut in 1995 as part of a duet with Mary-Chapin Carpenter with "One Cool Remove" and this was her only other Top 40 hit. This is the sort of record I could imagine appearing on the TV show Dawsons Creek. It probably did, but it's the sort of music that makes me cringe.

Verdict - Rubbish


We're now reaching the time when I started opening myself up to music that wasn't rave. There was always non-rave music that I liked, but when my friend who taught me all I needed to know about rave in the beginning played this song on the jukebox in the pub it started to seem more acceptable. I also realised that I liked this record whilst listening to it in the pub.

Verdict - Good


The biggest hit for K-Ci and JoJo. I was still purely listening to rave at the time but did find myself drawn towards this for some reason. I did eventually get into K-Ci And JoJo via the garage scene which then lead to me buying all their albums. The "Love Always" album is one of my all time favourites.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd and final chart topper to date for Celine Dion which was take from "The Titanic" movie. I remember how big that film was so it was almost inevitable that this would get to number one. It's also a depressing film given that people die at the end so I guess it's appropriate to have a depressing song for it. Musically though its just another Celine Dion record.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the final Top 40 hit to date for Tricky. He was back with a new album and continued to experiment with his sound. He'd turned up the tempo on "Money Greedy" and turned down the tempo on "Broken Homes". Neither are bad records but both lack excitement.

Verdict - OK OK


This was the UK Eurovision entry for 1998. I'd learned by this point that Eurovision music was generally shit so didn't bother watching it anymore. The UK won it the previous year with a shit record but failed to repeat that success with a record that actually wasn't bad.

Verdict - OK


It had been 10 years since Run DMC had last been in the Top 40. This Jason Nevins remix of their 1983 record took them to the top of the charts and ended the Spice Girls run of number ones. It also made its way onto several dance compilations which validated me liking this record. 

Verdict - Good


We're in an era of Simply Red that was quite cover heavy from a Top 40 perspective, but this was the original composition in the middle of that. They might not have ever been the coolest group to like, but more often than not the music was pretty solid.

Verdict - Good


Beverly Knight made her Top 40 debut in 1995 with "Flavour Of The Old School" and didn't follow up with another Top 40 until I heard this record. It was the first time we had Redman in the Top 40. There was a remix of this the following year that incorporated a sample of "Good Times" by Chic. Knowing that I feel like this record is lacking something.

Verdict - Rubbish


The final Top 40 hit of the 90s for Robyn and it would be nearly a decade until she'd return to the Top 40. It was originally a hit in her native Sweden in 1995 and Max Martin is nowhere to be seen on this. I always found it to be irritating.

Verdict - Rubbish


The final Top 40 hit to date for BBE. They had been credited with bringing trance music to the mainstream, not strictly true but it was no doubt trance music. They're going a bit more eurodance with this record though with vocals in it. Not bad but nowhere near as good as their previous efforts.

Verdict - OK


This was originally a number 31 in 1996 as part of a double a-side with "London Tonight" which was part of the Coca Cola adverts during Euro 96. With the World Cup just around the corner this was rereleased on it's own and fared better. 

Verdict - Good


At the time I remember this being this opening song of Top of the Pops for a few weeks in a row. At least that's what it felt. There also seemed to be a lot of people on the stage so I assumed they were a band with many members, but it turned out there were only 2 of them in Savage Garden. Never before have I seen a song contradict a band name so much. I do like some of their music, but not the soppy ballads.

Verdict - Rubbish


It's Rod Stewart doing a cover once again. To be fair this time he's covering a song that was originally by his old band The Faces. I remember him appearing on TFI Friday where he performed this and then went out on the piss with Chris Evans and Gazza afterwards which led to Gazza not being picked for the England squad at the World Cup.

Verdict - Rubbish


It's that time of year where we have the football songs. This ones a cover of the Donna Summer record and the lyrics changed to reflect Arsenal. It actually doesn't sound too bad to start off with, but it soon turns into your typically shit football song.

Verdict - Rubbish


After Jason Nevins successfully done a dance remix of "It's Like That" by Run DMC it was time for Germany producer NYCC to have a crack at "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" by the Beastie Boys. This is bloody awful though.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the 23rd Top 40 hit of the 90s which meant Madonna had more Top 40 hits in the 90s than in the 80s. Mariah Carey would be the only other act to reach 23 Top 40 hits in the 90s. The total score I've given for all of the previous 22 Madonna hits of the 90s is a big fat zero. However she finally had a decent hit with this. The credit of course has to go to William Orbit who was the main man behind this record.

Verdict - Good


Bus Stop were Daz Sampson, the person who represented the UK at Eurovision a few years later and Flip & Fill. This is a cheesy eurodance remake of the Carl Douglas record which featured the man himself. I already knew the originally and remember wondering why people were singing it all of a sudden, then heard this and thought oh dear. 

Verdict - Rubbish


It had been around a year since The Smashing Pumpkins had previously been in the Top 40 but they were still going strong. This wasn't their final Top 40 hit but it's the last one that's widely known. They've put some electronics into this one, but still sounds very much like a Smashing Pumpkins record.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Cleopatra which confirmed they were no novelty one hit wonder singing about themselves. My memory about this record was the line "don't just listen" and thinking I'd rather not even listen let alone do whatever else you want me to do.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Leann Rimes. I once took part in a quiz where a question was who charted in 1997 with "How Do I Live" to which I confidently answered Leann Rimes. The answer was Trisha Yearwood who reached number 66 with it. Leann Rimes was in 1998 and is the better known version. Although not the first person younger than me to chart, I do recall a younger Leann Rimes charting making me start to think have I missed the boat already in my music career. 

Verdict - Rubbish


Todd Terry may have now been finished in the Top 40 as an artist but he was still around. It was his remix of this Fleetwood Mac cover by The Corrs which gave The Corrs their Top 40 debut. At the time I recall someone asking me if I liked The Corrs, I thought about it and then said actually yes they are pretty good.

Verdict - Good


What the fuck happened here? The first 2 Top 40 hits for Aqua were complete piss takes but then came this which was a proper song. I just could not get my head round the fact that Aqua could make a record like this. It take my hat off to Soren Rasted and Claus Norreen, the Aqua members in the background on stage but writers of all their hits. They clearly knew what they were doing.

Verdict - Good


In the early 90s Stock & Waterman tried transforming Bananarama into the new Abba with this being one of their records but it failed to reach the Top 40. Now Pete Waterman tried the same with Steps and was more successful in doing so. Each female was given a verse each whilst you wouldn't even know the males were on the record from listening to it. Unfortunately we'd get more of these over the next few years.

Verdict - Rubbish


Although this wasn't the beginning of the solo career of Wyclef Jean it's the record that kickstarted it. What a record it is and you can apply it to a lot of situations. It has all the right ingredients, it's both a record for the busker on the street and for the radio and above all it's got soul.

Verdict - Good


There was a pub near where I grew up that had live music at the weekend. When I say live music I mean a singer, ocassionally one with a guitar and a karaoke machine. They'd sing the classics, but this song immediately slotted into the sets and I recall one particular night I swear the singer did this song around 5 or 6 times. Needless to say I got sick of it very quickly.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Sweden based American singer Lutricia McNeal which was also her highest charting Top 40 hit. It was also the first Top 40 hit as songwriter for Rami Yacoub, one of Max Martins sidekicks. I did find it a little irritating at the time but I'm not minding it now.

Verdict - OK


After being pleasantly surprised by who much I liked the first two hits for All Saints I decided to buy their album. On it was 2 covers and these were released as a double a-side for their next single. Maybe having 3 decent singles in a row was a step too far, the cover of "Under The Bridge" is particularly poor given how good the original is.

Verdict - Rubbish Rubbish


When I first heard this record with it's sample of "Can You Feel It" by The Jacksons it caught my attention because I like what it is sampling. Then I listened to the record the whole way through and realised that was the only redeeming feature, the rest was cheesy nonsense.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 12/30, or 40%. Just a slight drop this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment