Thursday 4 April 2024

2006: The End? - February

We're up to 31 new entries in February 2006, more than January but still less than any month in 2005. Just 11 of these were on Top of the Pops, but notably just over half the indie/garage rock records got shown on Top of the Pops.

As previously mentioned though in 2006 my Sunday evening viewing was the Galaxy Chart on MTV Dance. I can only conclude that a number of records in the Galaxy Chart at the time didn't get into the Top 40 as dance music was thin on the ground this month.

The big dance hit was "Thunder In My Heart Again" by Meck & Leo Sayer who sounds a lot like Freddie Mercury when he's singing on this. A very commercial record but it's not bad. LMC do a dance version of "You Get What You Give" which is rubbish. Then there's "Fire" by Ferry Corsten which features vocals from Simon Le Bon which again is rubbish.

Easily the winner of best record this month is "Ride A White Horse" by Goldfrapp which is a record I rate very highly but at the same time it didn't really have much competition.

Rap wise we have full marks for Three 6 Mafia with "Stay Fly", half marks for Rhymefest & Kanye West with "Brand New" and no marks for 50 Cent with "Hustlers Ambition" and Young Jeezy & Akon with "Soul Survivor".

R&B wise we have "Angel" by Pharrell which was I record I felt I should have liked more than I did, but it gets half marks. We also had the debut of Chris Brown with "Run It" which was an example of a new breed of R&B artist that I didn't think much of. I also didn't think much of "Your Body" by Pretty Ricky.

The only other points come from Go Team with "Ladyflash". I'd never heard of Go Team but it turns out at this point Go Team was just one person and he put together a band later on. I listened in alphabetical order, this was nearly half way through and ended a run of zeroes.

The worst record goes to Ashlee Simpson with "Boyfriend". It's basically music for moody teenage girls who have probably grown out of it now they're in their 30s.

Here's a list of the records with the best on top, worst at the bottom and the good ones in green, OK ones in amber and rubbish ones in red (and in no particular order):


Score: 15%

Here's a look at the chart:


3 months have a lower score but again we're helped by the small quantity of records. It's notably lower than February 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment