Thursday 18 April 2024

2006: The End? - April

One thing I've mentioned previously is that on a Sunday evening in 2006 I would be watching the Galaxy Chart on MTV Dance and not really watching Top of the Pops. Turns out that statement only applies from this month onwards as I've since discovered the Galaxy Chart was launched on East Sunday 2006.

When I look at the new entries from April that appeared on Top of the Pops it would appear this was the right call as the collective score for these records was just half a mark.

This half mark goes to Jamie Foxx & Ludacris with "Unpredictable". At the time I saw it as a rare modern R&B record that was good, but in reality I thought it was average at best. The only other R&B record was the dreadful "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.

Indie/garage rock was once again the dominant genre and this was reflected in what appeared on Top of the Pops. Just 16 of the 44 new entries were on the show and 10 of these were from the indie/garage rock genre. All the records from the genre get zero points.

Another genre getting a full house of zeroes was rap. We had "Laffy Taffy" by D4L and "Bounce Shake Move Stop" which were examples of not so good modern rap I remembered. Trina had her only Top 40 single and I've always found her irritating. Then there was Nelly and The Streets, both very hit or miss with their music and this time the latter.

The only dance record to appear on Top of the Pops was "From Paris To Berlin" by Infernal, some Euro cheese that's not very good.

It is however the dance genre that does deliver the goods this month. The best record is "Most Precious Love" by Blaze who first formed in 1984. Deep Dish did their take on "Dreams" which featured original vocalist Stevie Nicks and gets full marks. Finally we have "Speechless" by Mish Mash.

I thought there was a potential point for another group who have been around since the 80s, Depeche Mode. It's one of theirs I don't remember but after a couple of listens it did nothing for me so gets no points.

Onto the worst record which goes to Pink with "Stupid Girls". Not that she was any good in the first place, but after debuting in 2000 she'd long overstayed her welcome in the pop world by 2006. Little did I think she'd still be around many years to come.

One thing is for sure, my knowledge of chart music by this period is pretty rusty. I don't remember more than half the records and I've already forgotten a big chunk of those I just listened to.

Here's a list of the records with the best on top, worst at the bottom and the good ones in green, OK ones in amber and rubbish ones in red (and in no particular order):




































Score: 8%

Here's a look at the chart:


We've managed a score worse than March. Will May be worse still?

No comments:

Post a Comment