Sunday 7 April 2024

20 Years Since....Q1 2004

Here's the tunes I was enjoying 20 years ago:

2Pac ft Notorious BIG - Runnin


I was a bit skeptical about this record before I heard it. The fact it was a rehash of an existing record and it was produced by Eminem didn't fill me with confidence. Basically I didn't think Eminem was a very good producer based on his efforts on his "The Eminem Show" album.

However I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this record.

Jagged Edge - Walked Outta Heaven

The only Top 40 hit from their "Hard" album which was their first album after leaving So So Def records. I'm pretty sure I already owned the album by the time this came out as a single. I was very much still in my R&B phase at the time and Jagged Edge were amongst my favourites.

VS - Love You Like Mad

VS were a band put together by Simon Webbe from Blue and this debut hit from them was written by Stargate who also wrote for S Club 7. It's pop music disguised as R&B, a pretty weak production, members include future JLS member Marvin Humes, singing is average, rapping is terrible.

Despite all this I found myself loving this record and still find myself listening to it on YouTube these days, normally after a few beers.

B2K ft Fabolous - Badaboom

B2K were a pretty short lived R&B group and this was their final Top 40 hit. I was never a big fan of theirs, they were a bit too pop for my liking. However this final hit of theirs is easily the best thing they've ever done.

It was from the soundtrack of a film called "You Got Served" which I planned on seeing at the time, but to this very day I'm still yet to see it.

Northern Heightz - Look At Us

There was a lot of really cheesy dance music coming out at the time. Most of it was irritating but there was occasionally one that was just a lot of fun to listen to. This was one of those records. I guess the appealing thing about it is that doesn't try to be credible at all.

Divine Comedy - Come Home Billy Bird

I always liked the music of the Divine Comedy in the 90s. I loved the humour of the music. Going into the 21st century I more or less forgot about them but then this record reminded me of them again. 

I would say this is probably the best Divine Comedy hit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment