Monday 19 August 2019

Record of the Year 2018: Eminem - Fall


I mentioned in my yearly reviews how in some ways the charts have come full circle. This also applies to picking a record of the year, with a very limited choice in recent years.

Fortunately, Eminem's music was still popular enough to get into the charts and it wasn't so much a question of which record I'm going to pick, it's more which Eminem record I'm going to pick.

I decided to go for "Fall" which was one of 3 hits from his surprise album "Kamikaze" which came just 8 months after his previous album "Revival". The album is a reaction to the critics of his previous album.

My main criticism of Eminem's music in recent years is having crappy pop singers such as Rihanna, Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran feature on his records. Fortunately they're nowhere to be seen on this record, or on the "Kamikaze" album for that matter.

Following this release, I was reading articles about how Eminem's lyrics have no place in 2018, but I would disagree. Maybe it's because I'm a youth of 20 years ago rather than of today, but we need so called dinosaurs like Eminem to keep people of my age entertained because the rubbish the youngsters are coming up with certainly isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment