Friday 2 August 2019

25 Years Since....July 1994

The end of the month passed me by again, but better late than never. Here's what I was enjoying a little over 25 years ago:

East 17 - Around The World


This was the first single from the upcoming 2nd album "Steam", though it wouldn't come out until October.

As always, I loved East 17 but would keep it to myself. This basically followed the tried and tested formula of Brian singing and Tony rapping.


Crash Test Dummies - Afternoons And Coffeespoons


To many, Crash Test Dummies were a novelty one hit wonder sung by a man who looked like Neil from the Young Ones. To me, they were a group who followed up said record by something even better that only I seem to remember.

To this very day I'm not entirely sure whether their music is supposed to be humorous or it just seems like it because of the singers resemblance to Neil.


Erasure - Run To The Sun


What seems to be a bit of a trend so far in this post is that the songs I was enjoying were ones I wouldn't admit to liking at the time.

This one basically sounds like your typical Erasure song, which is a good thing. It was also their last Top 10 hit of the 90s.


The Prodigy - No Good (Start The Dance)


It's now 3 months in a row that a Rave tune has featured, but I was still very much a Grunger at the time. However there did come a point where it was deemed acceptable for a Grunger to like The Prodigy, whether that point had arrived yet or not I can't remember.

It is a great tune though, impossible not to like in my opinion. Probably the best Prodigy single there has ever been.

Skin - Tower Of Strength

So far I've just featured records that I enjoyed at the time but wouldn't admit to liking to anyone else, but we end with one that I very much admitted to liking, and I was ridiculed for it.

I do remember some of the heavier bands were starting to fall out of favour amongst my peers, not that this song was heavy. They were however a band who played at Donnington Monsters of Rock that year, and that was my defence. I then told someone who was a few years older who attended Donnington that year that Skin were a band I liked and he laughed at me.

In hindsight it does sound a bit 80s, which isn't cool when you're reaching the mid point of the 90s, but I still like it. Incidentally, not long after this I didn't see the man who attended Donnington for around 5 years, when I saw him again I asked if he was still into Heavy Metal and he said no, not at all, he was now into dance music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment