Saturday 31 August 2019

25 Years Since....August 1994

Time to go back to the end of the school holidays in 1994 and take a look at the music I was enjoying:

Aswad - Shine


I used to love "Don't Turn Around" as a kid but didn't recall hearing anything from Aswad until this record came out.

They did have a few minor hits, but this was their only other Top 10. I loved the ooh aah bit at the beginning, but just generally it's a great uplifting song.


Dinosaur Jr - Feel The Pain


At the time I had a friend who was interested in rock music but didn't know too much about it, so turned to me for advice as to what to listen to. Then he started asking me if I liked Dinosaur Jr, who I'd never heard of.

Then I heard this song and thought yes I do like them. Ok it's just one song.

I like the way it starts slow then speeds up, its ones of those songs you cant help but drum along to.


Whitesnake - Is This Love?


Hang on a minute, what is this 80s song doing on your list in 1994? is probably what you're thinking.

It is indeed an 80s song, but it was rereleased as a double a-side in 1994 with "Sweet Lady Luck".

I already knew this song, and liked this song and still liked it by this point.


Sophie B Hawkins - Right Beside You


This is a song that gets better with age. I do remember liking it at the time but a couple of years ago I heard it for the first time in years and realised just how good it was.

Not typical of my music tastes at the time, but I couldn't help but like it.

Red Dragon With Brian And Tony Gold - Compliments On Your Kiss

One memory of this song that particularly stands out for some reason is it being on the car radio when it was my friends birthday in the middle of August.

What does it for me with this song is what I assume to be the steel drums. I also like the 2 different styles of Brian and Tony Gold (not their real names).

Red Dragon is the DJ on the track who sadly passed away in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment