Saturday 24 August 2019

My 25 Favourite Albums: Spiritcatcher - Coast 2 Coast



Just a reminder that I decided what my 25 favourite albums were in 2009, and this one actually came out in 2009.

It's probably the most obscure album out of them all, if you're not into dance music then there's a good chance you've never heard of Spiritcatcher.

When I first started using YouTube I would basically binge on listening to music I hadn't heard for years. After a while I realised that I didn't have to just use YouTube to find old music, I can use it to find new music too. Obviously I had to know said new music existed to find it on YouTube, so this is what happened.

Around the same time, MySpace was still popular. I never had an account myself, but knew a good chunk of the users were musicians, or aspiring musicians. I came across the profile of someone who I saw DJ a few times at a nightclub I used to go to who would mainly play deep house and tech house. This was the sort of music I was seeking at the time, so I looked at what musicians he liked on his profile and listened to said musician on YouTube. Of those, the one which had the biggest impact on me was Spiritcatcher.

A while later I learned they were going to be releasing this album. It's a mix album rather than their own material, but it was the sort of style I was looking for and the latest music.

There are 2 CDs, one mixed and the other unmixed, containing 10 of the 14 tracks that appear on the mixed CD.

It's worth buying for the first track alone, which is "DDNA" by Soul Designer. Like with many great albums though, it's not just about the individual tracks. Basically if you want some simple no nonsense tech house music then I don't think there is any better album than this.

Being a fan of this mix album, Spiritcatcher were on the list of acts I wanted to see (admittedly a long list). One day in 2011, the night of the Tottenham riots to be exact, I was in the Ministry of Sound and saw on the flyers inside that Spiritcatcher were playing there the following week.

Unfortunately I'd reached the point of my life where doing an all nighter would make me knackered the whole week after, so decided against doing the Ministry of Sound 2 weeks in a row and thought maybe I'd see them another time. However it doesn't look like they've played in London since then, that coupled with the fact my clubbing days are pretty much over it looks like that was my last opportunity to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment