Wednesday 1 November 2017

25 Years Since....October 1992

I was too busy celebrating Halloween last night to make this post, but here's what I was enjoying in October 1992:

Bizarre Inc - I'm Gonna Get You


Nearly a year after they charted at number 4 with "Playing With Knives", Bizarre Inc went one better and scored a number 3 with this.

This really does bring back memories as it does remind me of a time when I had only recently started a new year at school like you do in September. What I like about this tune the most is what's going on in the background towards the "you know you're gonna be mine" bit.

House of Pain - Jump Around



I'll be honest, the name House of Pain must have gone in one ear out the other at the time as around a year or so later I remembered this as being by Cypress Hill. However, that wasn't as stupid as it sounds as it was produced by DJ Muggs from Cypress Hill.

One thing I do remember at the time was when I was at scouts (don't laugh!) in the leaders car and this came on the radio. He clearly didn't like it so changed the station and at that very moment on the other station the DJ said "that was Luciano Pavarotti".

Bon Jovi - Keep the Faith


This song marked the return of Bon Jovi and Jon Bon Jovi sporting a shorter haircut.

When I was celebrating my next birthday, one of my mates gave me the "Keep the Faith" album cassette and a blank cassette. I asked him why he'd given me a blank cassette too, he said that was for me to tape the album onto and then he wanted the original back.

Bon Jovi would go on to displace INXS as my second favourite band after Guns n Roses. However, as I started listening to heavier music I started to hate Bon Jovi and even put a picture of Jon Bon Jovi on the dart board and throw darts at him.

I kind of forgot about Bon Jovi as the 90s went on, but when they made another comeback in 2000 with "It's My Life" it reminded me that they actually have several good songs.

Arrested Development - People Everyday


Think it was the intro that did it for me, the badababdabdaba hey or whatever it is they say. I quite like the female repeating random words the man says in the verse too.

At the time I still wasn't that clued up as to what music was which genre and had this down as a reggae tune. I discovered it was rap when it appeared on an advert for a rap compilation.

Charles & Eddie - Would I Lie To You


I wasn't the only one enjoying this at the time. Everybody seemed to love this record at the time, it was probably the one record everyone could agree on.

I still just about considered Queen to be my favourite band, I remember confirming this to someone at school at the time. They then said their favourite band was Charles & Eddie!

They are remembered by many as being a one hit wonder, but they weren't. They had their next single "NYC (Can You Believe This City)" in February 1993. It didn't have the same impact on me, whereas everyone else seemed to have lost interest in Charles & Eddie all together and it only reached 33. That wasn't it though, they had 2 further hits which reached 29 and 38.

No comments:

Post a Comment