Monday 30 October 2017

Record of the Year 1991: Bomb the Bass - Winter In July


1991 was a golden year in music in my opinion. It spawned acts who to this very day I'm still a big fan of such as Massive Attack, The Prodigy and Shades of Rhythm to name a few.

However in my mind there was only ever going to be one record of the year for this year which is "Winter In July" by Bomb the Bass.

I was already familiar with Bomb the Bass at the time from his earlier material in the late 80s which I liked. When I heard this record though it was quite something else, words cannot do it justice it is quite simply an unbelievable good record.

As I mentioned in my yearly review, Bomb the Bass had to record under his real name Tim Simenon earlier on in the year because of the Gulf War. He had released a single called "Love So True" but this failed to chart and is said to be because people weren't aware who it was. So had the Gulf War not ended by this point, this may not have charted either. Instead it got to number 7 and was the only Top 40 single from his excellent "Unknown Territory" album.

Bomb the Bass has since retired from the music business and is now running a meatball restaurant in Prague called Brixton Balls. It's a shame he's no longer making music, but it would be a near impossible task to top this. It is quite possibly the best record to ever enter the Top 40, it's certainly up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment