Wednesday 29 November 2017

25 Years Since....November 1992

For I change I'm doing this one day early, here's what I was enjoying in November 1992:

Undercover - Never Let Her Slip Away


Ask your average music fan if they remember Undercover, they'd probably say yes the group who did the 90s remake of "Baker Street".

As much as I liked that tune, for me it was more about this. I'd never heard the original prior to this coming out so it was an original piece of music as far as I was concerned. I realised how much I liked it when on a school trip to Granada Studios and it came on the radio on the bus. I sang along and once it finished I thought wow what a tune.

Ironically I found out later on in life that Undercover hail from Manchester.

Heaven 17 - Temptation



Some of you might be thinking this isn't from 1992, its from 1983. Indeed it did originally come out in 1983 but was remixed by Brothers in Rhythm in 1992.

This was the first tune to be played at a school disco I went to at the time, great choice in my opinion. I started singing along to in enthusiastically but couldn't hear my voice due to pretty much everyone else singing it loudly too. It was before anyone at school really became a music snob so everyone loved every tune that was played that night, kind of miss those days.

East 17 - Gold


Who would have thought that you would have two groups in the Top 40 with 17 at the end of their name. I do remember finding it quite funny at the time.

This was the second single from East 17 but only managed to reach number 28 which I'm quite surprised by given it seemed quite well known at the time.

Being the days before music snobbery existed amongst my peers I could still admit to liking East 17 at this point. In fact I do remember when saying which groups I liked I'd say I like Heaven 17, East 17 etc. It wasn't long before the rivalry with Take That happened which then meant you weren't allowed to like either group if you were a male.

Guns n Roses - Yesterdays


Now we're starting to see the origins of my own music snobbery. This was around the time Guns n Roses became my favourite band, although I hadn't gone off Queen completely yet.

This was the 6th single from the Use Your Illusion albums which I was yet to own, but had hoped to get them for Christmas. Unfortunately my parents learnt of the swearing in their music so it never happened, but I did manage to acquire a copied tape of them in the end.

Faith No More - Everything's Ruined


I first heard Faith No More when they had a hit with "Epic" in 1990. I remembered this when I saw the video for "Midlife Crisis" on Top of the Pops in 1992 and was surprised at how different they sounded, the former being quite a funky number and the latter being quite dark and aggressive.

By the time "Everything's Ruined" came out I was aware that the original singer of Faith No More was no longer in the band which to me explained their change in sound. The singer on "Epic" was a long haired dude who rapped, the new singer seemed a lot more serious with short hair, a beard, pierced eyebrow and sang in a much more aggressive tone.

Little did I realise they were both in-fact the same person, Mike Patton. The original lead singer had left the band before "Epic". A few years later Mike Patton became known as the man Posh Spice fancied. Just imagine if she got with him instead, would we be having Brand Patton in our faces all the time? I like to think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment