Wednesday 24 January 2024

Top 30 in 1998 Reviewed: Week 4

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 26 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1998 with my verdict on each record:


S-J is the name of the singer on this record but the one making the music is Baby Doc and the main mix was done by Tall Paul. One of those records that treads that line between good and cheesy, but stays the right side.

Verdict - Good


Bernard Butler had previously been in the charts as part of Suede and McAlmont & Butler. This was his first Top 40 hit as a solo artist. This also means he's taking lead vocals for the first time. It's a very mellow record and as a result a bit boring.

Verdict - Rubbish


When Brian May released "Too Much Love Will Kill You" it was a common misconception that it was a tribute to Freddie Mercury. "No-One But You" however is genuinely a tribute to Freddie Mercury, with Brian May and Roger Taylor sharing lead vocals. It was also the final Queen release with John Deacon who retired after this. "Tie Your Mother Down" was originally one of their minor Top 40 hits in the 70s.

Verdict - Good Good


In 1996 we saw the beginning and end of the Top 40 career of singing actor John Alford. Then at the end of 1997 we had this, the Top 40 debut for another London's Burning actor Steven Houghton. A poor cover of a poor record.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the same act who did the god awful "Walk Like A Champion" with Prince Naseem under the name Kaliphz and the cover of "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers, both in 1996. Then came this, which is a huge improvement. It samples Clannad's "Theme From Harry's Game" and works really well. They decided to call it a day after this though because they didn't like the music directions they were taking.

Verdict - Good


The 2nd and final Top 40 hit to date for Allure, the R&B group signed to Mariah Careys label. It's a cover of the Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam record and features fellow R&B group 112. I do like the original of this, but the cover has all the goodness taken out of it and just sounds like a karaoke version.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember someone telling me there was a song about Barbie that had just come out which had some sexual references between Barbie and Ken. I thought he was taking the piss, but then I heard this. When I heard they were from Denmark, the same country as Whigfield, it made more sense. Remember the lyrics "I need you inside me tonight"?

Verdict - Rubbish


1997 brought us what was the latest hugely popular kids TV show, Teletubbies. I've never watched an episode myself, I was far too old for it. Obviously with Christmas just around the corner this record made a ideal Christmas present for parents to buy their young children and hence it topped the charts.

Verdict - Rubbish


Lutricia McNeal is from America but she relocated to Sweden and launched her music career. Then the Swedish songwriters started taking over the pop world and this, her debut Top 40 hit became a worldwide success. It's always irritated me for some reason. 

Verdict - Rubbish


An example of an American record that's given a garage makeover, in this case it's by Industry Standard. It's amazing how many speed garage anthems made the Top 40 in such a short space of time. Seems every speed garage record to make the Top 40 was an anthem.

Verdict - Good


When I went to Helter Skelter for the millennium, I was looking forward to the Vibes and Live Lee set which was the last of the night. It was a bit of an anti climax though when the first record he played was a happy hardcore version of "Baby Can I Hold You". "Shooting Star" is one I never knew until I started listening to Popmaster where they like asking questions about it.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 6th Top 40 hit for the Spice Girls and their 6th number one. Even at the start of 1997 you would have put money on the Spice Girls getting the Christmas number one that year no matter what the record was.

Verdict - Rubbish


The whole rap/rock crossover concept had perhaps been done to death by this point so here was a new concept, rap and classical crossover. It's an odd concept I have to say because they're chalk and cheese really, but it does work pretty well once you get used to it. The penultimate Top 40 hit of the 90s for Warren G with his final one just around the corner.

Verdict - Good


The previous record by Clock was a cover of "You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate and the original version returned to the charts shortly afterwards. No such return for KC and the Sunshine Band after this record though. As usual it's cheesy commercial rubbish.

Verdict - Rubbish


Yes that's right, Peter Andre and Warren G collaborated with each other. An even odder collaboration than the one Warren G did with Sissel. It was also the final Top 40 hit to date for Warren G, maybe the record buying public couldn't take him seriously after this. That said I actually quite like this record, I do remember at the time thinking how wrong it seemed for me to be enjoying a Peter Andre record.

Verdict - Good


I remember this record being played for what I think was the first time on Children in Need. It's a novelty line dancing mixed with eurodance record. Of course this turned out to be many hits for Steps. It goes without saying this song is shit. As a side note I have no problem with the cheesy holiday rep type image they're portraying here, it serves a purpose I suppose. The issue is them now being stuck up celebrities complaining about it but are happy to still milk it with their nostalgia tours.

Verdict - Rubbish


Space were back with a second album and this was the lead single from it which gave them their highest charting hit to this point. It's got that same quirkiness we'd become used to with Space records which makes for a decent tune.

Verdict - Good


We were into the final days of Dream Magazine and fingers were pointing to Goldie for making drum & bass too commercial from the letters. The fact that Noel Gallagher features on this record would have added fuel to that. Given that Noel Gallagher had previous collaborated with The Chemical Brothers this collaboration would have come as no surprise.

Verdict - Good


I was watching Live & Kicking in 1994 and Natalie Imbruglia was a guest on the show having just left Neighbours. She was asked if she was planning to launch a music career to which she said no which shocked Andi Peters. 3 years later here she is launching a music career and I was shocked. I wasn't shocked to find it was shit though.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the final Top 40 hit to date for poundland Boyzone. I seem to recall there being a boy band from Bedford around this time whose name escapes me and they never got anywhere, but I always thought they were the ones that did it. Boy Meets Girl aka George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam wrote it.

Verdict - Rubbish


If you were watching the BBC in late 1997 then you would have heard this record many times. It seemed to be on between every TV show. It's a long list of singers who would sing a line each and I got absolutely sick of it.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the turn around point of Robbie Williams solo career which went from strength to strength after this. I was dismissive of him as a solo artist least of all because I didn't like Oasis who he was trying to imitate. This record though is completely different and I had to concede it's actually quite good.

Verdict - Good


When this record came out I was shocked. It was a Janet Jackson song that I actually liked. Remember I was listening to nothing but rave at the time so I really didn't want to like this record even though it is a dance record. Then a friend of mine who was into rap and drum & bass bought this single which made me feel a bit better about liking it.

Verdict - Good


When it comes to Lighthouse Family singles they don't get any better than this. I always found it a really soothing record. I once worked somewhere that had music playing that didn't have the original singers on the tracks. This was one of those tracks on there and the different singer made it not as good. Then I bought a compilation that had this on it and was such a relief to hear it with the proper singer again.

Verdict - Good


This was originally a Top 40 hit in 1995 twice, first under it's original title "Legends Of The Dark Black Part 2" and then as "Renegade Master". Wildchild sadly passed away the same year. In 1998 Fatboy Slim did a remix and made it bigger than ever. It's a great remix, possibly even better than the original.

Verdict - Good


After the Stone Roses split we had the brief Top 40 career of John Squires band The Seahorses in 1997. Now in 1998 we have the beginning of the solo career of Ian Brown whose Top 40 career would last over a decade. I think its the name making it chart this high rather than the music.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the final Top 40 hit of the 90s for Radiohead and final hit from their "OK Computer" album. I remember at the time someone asking me how I could not like "No Surprises". Quite easily really, I will concede the glockenspiel does make it more interesting, but it's still boring.

Verdict - Rubbish


Clock weren't the only ones doing covers of KC and the Sunshine Band records. Andrew Livingstone aka Bamboo was also charting with this take on "Get Down Tonight" by KC and the Sunshine Band. This time though it was a decent record.

Verdict - Good


When the All Saints first came about I was amazed to find that I liked their debut Top 40 hit. I was even more amazed to find I also liked this, their follow up. It's one of those records I'd felt I'd heard before but hadn't. As a result of me liking these first 2 singles I went on to do something I'd not done in a long time, bought an album that wasn't rave which was their debut album.

Verdict - Good


The final Top 40 hit of the 90s for Oasis which was actually written before Oasis had their first Top 40 hit. As such it doesn't fit the throwaway rubbish category that their other two comeback hits fit, but at the same time the so called classic Oasis isn't to my liking either.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 14/30, or 47%. Almost at 50% at week 4 having started the year with 5, that's encouraging.

No comments:

Post a Comment