Thursday 11 January 2024

Norman Jay - Mister Good Times (2017)


It's now been 6 years since this, the most recent album from Norman Jay was released. Since he kicked off the "Good Times" series in 2000 he had never had a gap this long between albums until now.

Although not technically part of the "Good Times" series, it has the name in the title and the same idea i.e. a compilation spanning a variety of genres across the years.

I would say this has a slightly more mainstream feel to it that previous effort "Skank & Boogie" but not too much. There's 2 Top 40 hits on there in "I Only Want To Be With You" by Barry White and "Vehicle" by Ides Of March.

We also have lesser known covers of well known records such as Aretha Franklin doing a cover of "I'm Every Woman". The majority of artists featured on the compilation have at least one Top 40 hit to their name but in true Norman Jay style he's gone for the less obvious ones which is what makes his compilations appeal to me.

One thing that also struck me about this compilation is the majority of featured artists never lived to see this compilation released. It's very much a history lesson in music rather than music that was current and in 2017 that's very much a good thing.

Looking at the tracklisting prior to listening there was a tune I didn't have much hope for which was "Right Here" by Shalamar. They're one of those groups who I've always found irritating and this particular tune does nothing to change my opinion there.

Still, you can't expect to like every track on the album. Overall I found this album very enjoyable and shows that a bunch of well known artists have some great tunes outside of the big hits.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment