Friday 16 June 2023

Top 30 in 1996 Reviewed: Week 24

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 27 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Friday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1996 with my verdict on each record:


In the mid-90s in the Scottish hardcore scene the biggest name was Scott Brown. It seemed every other Scottish hardcore record at the time was by him. He was also part of Q-Tex and this was their only Top 40 hit. It was watered down for commercial release, but still a good record.

Verdict - Good


The final Top 40 hit to date for Culture Beat. It's quite surprising to see them in the Top 40 in 1996 really and they sound the same as they did in 1993. I didn't like them in 1993 but I was a rock fan back then and a dance fan in 1996. Still didn't like Culture Beat though.

Verdict - OK


This Simon & Garfunkel cover was the biggest solo Top 40 hit for Suggs. It was also the biggest Top 40 hit for Louchie Lou and Michie One. To be honest I was never sure whether a record was a Suggs solo or a Madness record in the 90s, but on reflection there's a clear distinction in that Suggs solo records sound a bit of a joke.

Verdict - Rubbish


The final Top 40 hit to date for Squeeze which came 18 years after their first, so a pretty good run. They don't sound out of place in the 90s at all, I honestly thought "Up The Junction" was a 90s record when I was younger and didn't know what it was called. Onto this record, it's well written in the fact it engages me despite being a slow number.

Verdict - Good


Oh dear. When a contestant chooses Cliff at the Movies as their bonus on Popmaster my default answer is "Summer Holiday" because that's the only one I know. There was a stage version in the 90s which starred Darren Day and this was taken from it. 

Verdict - Rubbish


I do remember this record but haven't heard it for years so I wasn't sure what I'd make of it now. Not a lot is the answer. The bit where she sings the title distinguishes the song, but aside for that it's really a non-entity of a record.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember this being big at the time until the follow up "Good Enough" overshadowed it. As a result I don't think I've heard it since 1996. It takes a while to get going but develops into a pretty decent record. I didn't think I'd be enjoying it this much after all these years.

Verdict - Good


It had been nearly 5 years since he released his "Waking Up The Neighbours" album which contained a certain 16 week chart topper. He was seemingly ever present on the singles chart since then, but album wise it wasn't until now he was releasing this the lead single from his follow up album "18 Till I Die". It's a bit more uplifting than we'd previously been used to, but it's not great.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Backstreet Boys were part of the Childliners collective who charted with "The Gift Of Christmas". The name Backstreet Boys had been banded about prior to this as I recall, but this was their Top 40 debut. It's the formula we came to know to expect from the Backstreet Boys but this wasn't written by the usual Swedish songwriting team. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The biggest Top 40 hit for D'Angelo. I do struggle with this sort of music a bit. I can appreciate it for what it is and it's pleasant enough, but it doesn't really go anywhere. Works well as background music, but nothing stands out to make me think good tune.

Verdict - OK


I remember when this first entered the charts it was at number six for three weeks in a row. It would eventually climb to number one, the first time a record climbed to number one rather than go straight in at number one for a while. I always found Mark Morrison quite hard to take seriously with the way he sang. Still not a bad record though.

Verdict - OK


This was the Top 40 debut for the Lighthouse Family in 1995 which made number 34. Following the chart success of "Lifted" this fared better when re-issued. I do like the soothing nature of the Lighthouse Family's music I have to say.

Verdict - Good


The last original Top 40 hit to date for Happy Clappers. Member Mark Topham wasn't finished as a songwriter though as he wrote a number of Steps hits amongst others. This record was written by fellow member Chris Scott though. A very commercial sounding dance record that does nothing for me.

Verdict - Rubbish


Euro 96 was happening and Scotland were in it which meant we got another football record. I don't remember this record, perhaps because the expletives kept it off the radio and it was probably only listened to north of the border. It's crap though.

Verdict - Rubbish


The official Scotland Euro 96 record done by London born Rod Stewart. I've often said that football and music is generally a terrible combination, but when said musician is Rod Stewart it's even worse.

Verdict - Rubbish


The 7th number one for George Michael and his final one to date. What stood out to me at the time was him using the word bullshit in the lyrics. That was rare in a pop song back then. It was an improvement on the seriously dull "Jesus To A Child", but that's not saying much.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Space. When it comes to bands who fell under the Britpop banner I would say Space were one of the better ones. It's a bit different, the verses stand out really well and builds into a strong chorus. Great tune.

Verdict - Good


I remember watching "A Song for Europe" where a number of songs went to the public vote to decide which one should represent the country at the Eurovision Song Contest. Of all the songs on the show, this was my favourite and the voting public agreed. Admittedly it is a bit cheesy and did get played to death at the time. As far as Eurovision songs go though, I cannot think of a single one that I think is better than this. No doubt there will be Brit Pop fans reading this thinking I've now lost what little credibility I did have. But I listen to music for enjoyment, not credibility.

Verdict - Good


I'll be the first to admit this record hasn't aged very well. At the time though it was a great record and the nostalgia element means I still like it now. For me it's all about the build up when the beat first comes in. Then there's the short breakdown later on before the tune kicks in again. It was irresistible at the time.

Verdict - Good


The follow up to "Children" which was still in the Top 40 at the time. I remember being pretty sick of "Children" by this point as it was being played all the time. This record didn't sound all that different to "Children" so I didn't think much to it initially. I did start to like it eventually though.

Verdict - Good


I would say the solo career of Louise after she left Eternal got off to a slow start, but this was the record where she turned the corner. It's probably the best remembered hit of hers, though one thing I will say is her Top 40 performance shows her music career to be bigger than I remember it being. Maybe I'd trained myself to ignore it because it's shit.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was a record I never liked at the time, partly because with a name like the Tony Rich Project I was expecting a dance record but it wasn't. Then when I was going through my R&B phase I started liking it. What do I think of it now though? Well first of all I could have sworn it was written by Babyface but it wasn't, though it did come out on his label and the songwriters have seemingly done nothing else so you never know. The fact it sounds like a record Babyface could have done himself though is a good thing.

Verdict - Good


Celine Dion was pretty well established as a chart act by this point and was mainly known for doing ballads. It therefore seemed almost inevitable really that she'd end up with a single written by Diane Warren and here it is. 

Verdict - Rubbish


This record is what it says on the tin but is basically a remix done by Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen of U2. I will give them credit for the fact this sounds nothing like a U2 record. That doesn't mean it's any good though.

Verdict - Rubbish


It's quite a simple concept, take a sample of "Better Days" by Jimi Polo like several other dance records have done, and mix it in with a vocal sample of "Girls & Boys" by Blur. It worked though, this was one of my favourite commercial dance records at the time. I kind of didn't want to like it but I couldn't help but enjoy it.

Verdict - Good


After eventually topping the charts with their Top 40 debut "Dreamer" the previous year, this was their follow up. It was with a different singer this time. It's not hugely different to it's predecessor though and not a good, but not bad either.

Verdict - OK


The record Ocean Colour Scene are best known for was their debut "The Riverboat Song" but this was their joint highest charting hit. The verses to this gives the notion of riding along on a train I think and the chorus is simple but effective. An all round good record.

Verdict - Good


The record that Peter Andre was best known for. It's a reggae style pop record that sounds a bit like its ripping off "Sweat" by Inner Circle. I remember this being in the charts when Peter Andre was presenting Top of the Pops and during the chart countdown he said it was "by Bubbler Ranx and me". It's not the worst record in the world, but I'm sick to death of it now and would happily never hear it again.

Verdict - Rubbish


As a general rule music and football do not mix. New Order however showed it is possible to make a decent football record. In theory there was no reason why the Lightning Seeds couldn't have done the same and it is liked by many, but not by me.

Verdict - Rubbish


I remember this going straight into number one on the Top 40 countdown which was the first time I heard it. Initially from the intro I thought it was going to be a depressing song, but then the beats kicked in and I though hang on a minute this is actually quite good.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 14/30, or 47%. Same as last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment