Wednesday 21 June 2023

Top 30 in 1995 Reviewed: Week 25

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 28 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Wednesday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1995 with my verdict on each record:


The only Top 40 hit to date for West Coast rapper Rappin 4-Tay. It would also be the final Top 40 hit for Detroit Spinners though they are simply credited on the record because they were sampled. They don't make the like this anymore.

Verdict - Good


The 3rd and final Top 40 hit for Amy Grant who had last been in the Top 40 in 1991. It's a cover of the Joni Mitchell record and I believe this was the first version of this record that I heard. I remember thinking it was good to see the singer of "Baby Baby" back in the charts.

Verdict - Good


The Verve had been around for some time before many people noticed. This was their 2nd Top 40 hit which I think is even duller than their bigger hits. Like their pals Oasis I've never got what the fuss is all about, I find them really boring.

Verdict - Rubbish


I love the original "White Lines (Don't Do It)" by Grandmaster & Melle Mel and this cover completely ruins it. I can live with the rock element being added to it but the singing of the lines that were originally rapped is just terrible.

Verdict - Rubbish


The final Top 40 hit to date for Deep Forest. The vocalist on the record was Hungarian singer Marta Sebestyen hence the name. It was from the "Boheme" album which actually sold more copies than their self titled debut. I love music like this.

Verdict - Good


After the eventual success of "Push The Feeling On" courtesy of a MK remix, The Nightcrawlers reunited with MK for this follow up which very much follows the same formula. The main difference is that it's nowhere near as catchy, but then that's what makes it good in its own way.

Verdict - Good


Bernard Butler left Suede in 1994 and then formed a duo with David McAlmont. This was their Top 40 debut and the record they're best known for. Whilst this also falls under the britpop banner it's very different to Suede. That's a good thing.

Verdict - Good


The final Top 40 hit to date for Bitty McLean and once again it's a cover done reggae style. It's a formula that works though and whilst it's nothing exceptional it's still great fun to listen to.

Verdict - Good


The songwriter of this record was Glyn Poole which made me think oh that's what the "Milly Molly Mandy" singer did next. Turns out it was a different Glyn Poole. It was the 4th Top 40 hit for singing actor Sean Maguire and as usual it's a bit crap.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was originally a chart topper for Procol Harum back in the 60s and is one of the all time great 60s records in my opinion. It's therefore going to be very difficult to cover this record without ruining it. Inevitably then this cover is a bit shit.

Verdict - Rubbish


It had been over a year since we'd last seen Haddaway in the Top 40. He was unable to keep his streak of Top 10 hits going with this record with his commercial peak seemingly over. A shame really because this is the best thing I've heard him do. Not that good though.

Verdict - OK


The solo Top 40 debut for Billie Ray Martin who had previously been in the Top 40 as the singer for Electribe 101. Initially reaction to hearing that there was a singer called Billie Ray Martin was not that achy breaky heart bloke again. It was a different Billie Ray though, a German female as opposed to an American male. It couldn't be any more different, but it's almost as annoying as "Achy Breaky Heart".

Verdict - Rubbish


The debut solo Top 40 hit for Ali Campbell which was also his biggest. It features uncredited vocals from Pamela Starks. The only resemblance it has to a UB40 record is Ali Campbell's singing, it's very much a pop record otherwise. It's also how a pop record should be done.

Verdict - Good


I never paid much attention to this record at the time, but a few years later Jodeci would become one of my favourite groups. By the end of 1995 I was only really listening to rave music, then towards the end of the 90s UK garage was making it's way into the raves. One particular garage I liked was "Tell Me It's Real" by K-Ci & Jojo. I then discovered that started out as an R&B record and that K-Ci & Jojo were part of Jodeci which then brought me back to this record and I realised that I liked it.

Verdict - Good


I've never liked rugby as a sport and have never watched the rugby world cup in my life. The way to know it was happening was a version of this song being in the charts. It do find it somewhat baffling that rugby prides itself on being a hardcore sport yet it gets represented musically by such a namby pamby song.

Verdict - Rubbish


I was really critical of this song at the time. It's called "This Ain't A Love Song" but it clearly is one, something I'd shout when I'd hear it. I was still very much in my anti-Bon Jovi phase. In reality though this is one of my favourite Bon Jovi records and a good one to scream your lungs out to.

Verdict - Good


I don't think anyone saw this one coming. A eurodance record that's rapped by a 53 year old bloke with a stutter. This record is about as 1995 as they come even though it was originally recorded in 1994. What a tune though.

Verdict - Good


A record from 1958 that finally entered the charts after appearing on the Guinness advert. Perez 'Prez' Prado sadly didn't live to see this records success as he died in 1989. I'm not sure I was aware of just how old this record was at the time and when I hear it I very much think 1995.

Verdict - Good


The final single to be take from the "Steam" album. It's predominantly Brian Harvey singing but does also feature a short Tony Mortimer rap and also has a rap from Terry Coldwell. We were used to Terry being in the background but he's actually a pretty decent rapper.

Verdict - Good


The Top 40 debut for Jam & Spoon which first charted in 1994. It's their highest charting hit and the one they're best known for. It's nowhere near as good as their less successful records from 1995 and it's difficult to not make the comparison. If I ask myself if it's better than "Don't Make Me Wait" by Loveland ft Rachel McFarlane though I'd say yes it probably is.

Verdict - Good


The solo Top 40 debut for Edwyn Collins who had previous been in the Top 40 as part of Orange Juice. This record is all about the guitar, I love the way it basically repeats the lines that he sings. The rest of the guitaring is great as well.

Verdict - Good


It's difficult to pin point a record that M People are best known for but I'd say this record is definitely a candidate. It's inclusion on the Peugeot advert would probably be a factor, that's what I think of when I hear this record. Not to my liking.

Verdict - Rubbish


Whigfield is best known for her chart topping debut "Saturday Night" which is an irritating record. Then came "Another Day" which is basically the same tune with different lyrics. Then came this which made me think what the fuck, I like this Whigfield record. It's still cheesy don't get me wrong, but in a good way. Those who remember it are likely to remember it for the line "I need you inside me tonight".

Verdict - Good


Wet Wet Wet were enjoying a revival off the back of the success of "Love I All Around" with this being their 3rd Top 10 hit in a row, something they hadn't managed since their first 3 singles back in 1987. I do quite like it.

Verdict - Good


Pulp formed in the 70s but it took until 1994 for them to get their first Top 40 hit. It was this record though that made them a household name. I wasn't keen on this record at first, then it grew on me a bit but it's taken quite a few years for me to concede that I do quite like it.

Verdict - Good


If I had to pick a record to sum up the summer of 1995 then this would probably be it. This was also my favourite of The Outhere Brothers hits. 

Verdict - Good


Michael Jackson first made a name for himself singing with his brothers. Now here he is singing with his sister. The issue I have with this record is it's over the top like a lot of his records are. If I put that to one side though and concentrate on the music alone then I like it if I'm in the right mood.

Verdict - Good


The follow up to the chart topping "Let Me Be Your Fantasy" which is a rave version of the Korgis record. There were other rave versions of the same record also going round at the same time. It lends itself well to it though I have to say.

Verdict - Good


This record was famously featured on the soundtrack to "Batman Forever". It's a crap film like all the Batman films are but the music is good. I love the intro/outro riff to this.

Verdict - Good


Whilst I generally have a favourable opinion of music from 1995 I'm also conscious that there was also rubbish in the charts that year with Robson & Jerome in particular that springs to mind. This was their Top 40 debut which came about after their Soldier Soldier characters sang it on the show.

Verdict - Rubbish Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 21.5/30, or 72%. Quite a drop but still a great score.

No comments:

Post a Comment