Thursday 22 June 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1982

Top 40

Best Song: Marvin Gaye - (Sexual) Healing

When one is 2 decades into their career like Marvin Gaye was by this point they are often past their best. This record bucks that trend though and is a classic. I think I was initially surprised to discover this came out in the 80s but it's more a case that it sounds timeless and is just as good as his 60s records.

Worst Song: Shalamar - Friends

Shalamar ended up with the worst song on more than one occasion when doing my best year search so it only seems fitting that they get the worst song in the Christmas charts too. This is very cheesy and annoying. Shalamar really were bad.

Top 40 Review

In 1982 the unthinkable happened, a Christmas hit that I actually like. The record in question is "A Winters Tale" by David Essex which I used to write off as Christmas rubbish but I decided when I took a proper listen after it came on the radio that it's actually quite good.

No such luck with the other Christmas hits which were "Blue Christmas" by Shakin Stevens, "Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy" by David Bowie & Bing Crosby, "Little Town" by Cliff Richard and "Singalong-A-Santa" by Santa Claus and the Christmas Trees.

It was a novelty record that topped the charts though which was "Save Your Love" by Renee & Renato. Another novelty record in the Top 40 came from Keith Harris & Orville. Neither get any points.

Synth pop was the leading genre in the Top 40 and there wasn't a bad record to come from it with all contributing at least half marks. Highlights include "Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You)" by A Flock Of Seagulls and "Living On The Ceiling" by Blancmange. 

Perhaps the most bizarre record in the Top 40 was "Cacharpaya (Andes Pumpsa Desi)" by Incantation. It's South American style music done by a British group and I think it's a great record.

Another highlight of the Top 40 was "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins which I know is one that will divide opinion but I consider it a pretty decent cover.

There were a couple of records I was half expecting to give full marks to which were "Buffalo Gals" by Malcolm McLaren And The World's Famous Supreme Team and "I Don't Wanna Dance" by Eddy Grant. However, after listening to them I've now decided both are only good enough for half marks. This is why I always listen to the Top 40 in full.

I've already highlighted some rubbish records, but the quantity of average records is also playing it's part in keep the score down. It's a pretty familiar score.

Score: 15.5

Table

The 80s really have been consistent so far and really nothing to separate 1982 and 1986:



No comments:

Post a Comment