Friday 31 March 2023

25 Years Since....March 1998

A bit late but here we go:

Catatonia - Mulder And Scully


Catatonia made their Top 40 debut in 1996 but this was the record that made them a household name. I have a feeling I knew their debut hit at the time, but this was the first time I became familiar with the name Catatonia.

It was a record that made me start to think I should open myself up to music that wasn't rave. In reality there were plenty of non-rave tunes I liked throughout in secret, but I didn't really keep a secret of the fact I liked this record.

Wes - Alane

I'd heard this record many times before I knew what the fuck it was. I always found it strange but in a good way. I also recall someone I knew at the time hating it possibly for the same reasons that I liked it.

It was the only Top 40 hit for Wes and the fact it's so different just shows how much more variety we had in the charts back then.

Lionrock - Rude Boy Rock

This was the final but highest charting Top 40 hit to date for Lionrock. I would have had this down as being more a record from the summer as it reminds me of the World Cup that year.

I would also say that this record is a lot more catchy than their previous efforts.

Black Connection - Give Me Rhythm

In 1997 there was a late night show on ITV about music and clubbing called "Club Nation". At the end of the last episode in the series the presenter said they'd be back in September. Then September came but no sign of "Club Nation" returning.

Then some time later came a new show called "Club@Vision" and this was the theme music. To be honest I wasn't overly keen at first as it seemed to completely ignore the rave scene but a combination of me getting more into house music plus an episode from Dreamscape finally got me into it.

I also remember thinking at the time that presenter Lisa Nash probably didn't even know the rave scene existed. Little did I know that she was Hixxy's girlfriend at the time.


All Seeing I - Beat Goes On

This was a big beat rip off of the Sonny & Cher record. I wasn't aware of that fact at the time, if I was then it may have put me off.

It's quite fitting to have a big beat record about the beat though.

No comments:

Post a Comment