Thursday 16 March 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 1998

Top 40

Best Song: The Honeyz - End Of The Line

There was a period of time when I was a big fan of The Honeyz and this was one of the records that contributed to that. It was their 2nd Top 40 hit and final track from their one and only album that got released. It was also a reason I got into R&B too.

Worst Song: B*Witched - To You I Belong

The 3rd Top 40 hit for B*Witched which was the obligatory ballad. Their prior 2 hits had been cheesy and shit, but this is both too but also boring at the same time. B*Witched really were a terrible group.

Top 40 Review

When I was doing my best year search I was surprised at how low 1998 finished. I was expecting the 90s years to all be near the top and could name lots of decent hits that year. Was it just a mid-year dip or was it really that bad?

Let's begin with dance music as this is what makes me look back favourably on the year. Unfortunately there wasn't really any dance music in this Top 40 that one would call credible. We have "Move Mania" by Sash! which I like but it's hardly credible. There was also the Sash! remix of "I Want You" by Savage Garden which I also like.

Likewise "If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better" is alright but again not credible. Outside of this you have the Vengaboys and the Dancing Baby tune, both cheesy as fuck.

It was the year I opened myself up to other genres of music though. There are records by All Saints, Robbie Williams and Aerosmith the I like as a result of that. 

There are 4 Christmas tunes in the charts. An old one from Bing Crosby, a remix from Slade and 2 new long forgotten ones from Fat Les and Jane McDonald. All crap in my opinion.

It wasn't just Christmas songs coming out at Christmas though, we had the novelty hits which overlap with Christmas hits. The biggest of these was the number 2 record "Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You)" by Chef.

Outside of this there was too much crap as usual. The Spice Girls were Christmas number one once again but outside of boy bands and girl groups there was throwaway pop music from the likes of Billie Piper, Alda and Emilia.

As a result we are in single figures still, but only just.

Score: 9.5

Table

The score for the Christmas charts in 1998 is the same as the score in the best year search:



No comments:

Post a Comment