Sunday 5 March 2023

25 Years Since....February 1998

A bit late but here we go:

Bamboo - Bamboogie


There were a lot of disco remakes around this time and I quite liked a lot of them. I'm not sure I knew too many of the originals at the time but I think I could sort of tell this was originally as disco hit.

The man behind this record was Andrew Livingstone.

Wildchild - Renegade Master '98

Wildchild was sadly no longer with us by this point. "Renegade Master" was his big hit which originally made the Top 40 in 1995 and was a record that I liked.

The Norman Cook remix in 1998 made it bigger than ever. I'm sure Wildchild himself would have appreciated this remix as it really fits in to the big beat movement of 1998.

Ruff Driverz - Don't Stop



Ruff Driverz were Chris Brown and Bradley Carter and this was their Top 40 debut. Chris Brown was better known in the rave scene as Eruption and ran the rave United Dance. Bradley Carter was the engineer on many happy hardcore tunes.

They'd moved away from the rave scene though and were making a speed garage record. I too was a fan of speed garage.

Da Hool - Meet Her At The Love Parade



German trance was a big thing in the late 90s and this was one of the first German trance records to make the UK Top 40.

I can picture myself years later listening to this in my car and thinking that music was much better in 1998 than it was at the time I was listening to it. This was from a CD that I was given by someone the same age as me but didn't want it because it was too old.


BBE - Desire

As mentioned German trance was big in the UK charts from the late 90s but it was French trance which was big prior to this, or more specifically it was BBE.

This was their 3rd Top 40 hit and only those into dance music would really remember it. As a result it's not been played to death since.

No comments:

Post a Comment