Sunday 2 April 2023

Top 30 in 1993 Reviewed: Week 14

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1993 with my verdict on each record:


This failed to make the Top 40 when first released in 1991. It's not one I remember either time, but as I listen to it I understand why. It sounds very generic, I guess I'll remember the regular chants of "Chok There" but there isn't really anything to this.

Verdict - Rubbish


Back in the 20th century the majority of rap artists in the Top 40 were American. There was just one British rap act to score more than 3 Top 40 hits and that was Monie Love who reached 9. To me though that's a bad advert for British rap. Even having Prince as co-writer cannot save this record.

Verdict - Rubbish


Ice Cube was now on his 3rd solo album but this was his Top 40 debut. It was perhaps the most radio friendly record he'd made to this point. That said it still has expletives and is what I would call a proper rap record.

Verdict - Good


Bobby Womack is a well known artists, but he's only had 2 Top 40 hits which are both as featured artists. This was the 2 of those. It's fair to say this wasn't his finest moment. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The 2nd Top 40 hit for Sonic Youth which came around the same time as bassist Kim Gordons 40th birthday. They were always one of the more interesting bands I thought. A band who's music was acceptable despite being a bit on the soft side.

Verdict - Good


A week after Whitney Houston was finally knocked off the top spot we got this Top 5 follow up. It's also from "The Bodyguard" film and is a cover of the Chaka Khan record. At least this one isn't as depressing, but that's the only positive thing I can say about it.

Verdict - Rubbish


Stock Aitken & Waterman had transformed Kylie and Jason from soap stars to pop stars. By this point, Aitken had sailed off into the sunset and Kylie and Jason had moved on. This time Stock and Waterman turned their attention to Coronation Street and Jack Duckworth. I remember hearing this for the first time on the Big Breakfast and just thought why?

Verdict - Rubbish


I'm sure most people think Mica Paris had a brief pop career in the late 80s and didn't realise she was active through most of the 90s too. I count myself as one of those people. This was her biggest 90s hit. I don't know what it's trying to be but I know whatever it is I don't like it.

Verdict - Rubbish


Cappella made their Top 40 debut in 1989, but this was just their 3rd Top 40 hit. This is the start of their full on cheesy eurodance era. It's not as bad as I remember it being, but it's still pretty bad.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Jamiroquai. I wasn't familiar with the name Jamiroquai until a couple of years later but this is a record I definitely remember at the time. In fact I think it even took a while for me to learn the title. After reading all the references to Stevie Wonder in the video comments, maybe I assumed it was a Stevie Wonder record at the time. 

Verdict - Good


The penultimate Top 40 hit for PM Dawn and the last time they'll feature in these posts as the last one made number 40. It was their 2nd biggest Top 40 hit and thinking about it I would say if I had to name a PM Dawn record aside from the obvious one then this would probably be it. This one samples "Father Figure" by George Michael and has Cathy Dennis on backing vocals. 

Verdict - Good


This was originally titled "Pressure" and failed to make the Top 40 when first released in 1991. It was remixed and renamed "Pressure Us". Although this charted lower than their previous 2 hits this feels like it was a bigger record at the time as I'm sure this was the one I heard the most.

Verdict - Good


The penultimate Top 40 hit for Arrested Development and the last time they'll feature as their final Top 40 hit never made the Top 30. It's not as bonkers as the previous effort "Mr Wendal", but still has that unique Arrested Development sound which makes it a good record.

Verdict - Good


This double a-side is often a question on Popmaster and that's how I learned it was a double a-side. "Little Bird" was the one I remember being played at the time and I never really thought much of it. I have no recollection of hearing "Love Song For A Vampire" at the time. I've heard it since and don't think much of it either.

Verdict - Rubbish Rubbish


The singles kept on coming from the "Dangerous" album with this being the 7th. Whilst most of these singles had been new jack swing ones, this one was a rock song with Slash playing the guitar on it. I never liked it at the time because in my mind it couldn't be a proper rock song if it was by Michael Jackson. It has grown on me since.

Verdict - Good


When it came to peoples Top 10 bands, solo artists were allowed though they rarely featured because rock music was mostly done by bands. One solo artist in many peoples Top 10 around this time was Lenny Kravitz based on this record alone. Then it became apparent this was the same man who did "It Ain't Over Til It's Over" a couple of years prior and he followed this up with the very mellow "Believe". We all still liked this song though, but he was no longer worthy of a place in our Top 10s.

Verdict - Good


We've finally reached the end of the Stock and Waterman era with this being their final Top 40 hit, though both would be back individually. I heard people singing this before I actually heard it, initially I thought they were singing "Animal Nitrate" by Suede and adding in the Wrestlemania bit themselves. I did finally hear it though, unfortunately.

Verdict - Rubbish


One of the many Gloria Estefan Top 40 hits of the 90s that I don't remember. This was actually the highest charting of the ones I don't remember. It's a dance record that sounds very much like one for the dancefloor. Well it's certainly not one for my listening pleasure anyway.

Verdict - Rubbish


One of many Cliff Richard songs I don't remember. Might have been one where the DJ had to assure people they were listening to Radio 1 after it was played in the Top 40 countdown.

Verdict - Rubbish


The Top 40 debut for Jade and their biggest hit. It certainly has the 90s nostalgia factor to it. The fact the reunion consisted of just 2 of the 3 members and they added a contestant from "The Voice" to the group tells me I'm nostalgic about something that never really existed. I'll try not to let that put me off the tune though.

Verdict - Good


There are many records that have been played to death over the years and this is definitely one of them. It's been remixed to death too, though this best known version was a remix itself. The remix was by Stonebridge, the same Stonebridge who were putting out cheesy dance records in the 21st century. The issue I have with this being overplayed is that it was nothing special to begin with.

Verdict - OK


It had been 6 years since David Bowie had last been in the Top 40 with a new record. In that time he lost his 3rd place in terms of most Top 40 hits to Elton John but was back in joint 3rd with this record. It was also his penultimate Top 10 hit to date with the final one coming 20 years later. I've honestly never understood the fuss about David Bowie. Yes he was a little different in his hey day, but I've never been able to get into his music. I'm sure even his fans would agree he was past his best by this point.

Verdict - Rubbish


With this record entering the charts I know that "Sweat (A La La La La Long)" by Inner Circle is just round the corner. Both take me back to school discos in an era where I loved pretty much everything which was played. It's one of the last Stock and Waterman hits, but according to West End aka Eddie Gordon they just replicated what he'd done previously, which explains why this is good.

Verdict - Good


I'd actually heard the original Harry Chapin version which never made the UK Top 40 prior to this cover. As a youngster at the time though I was in favour of the more modern version so was never put off.

Verdict - Good



This was the 31st Top 40 hit for Madonna but was her first Top 40 hit that was a cover. I don't think I've heard it for 30 years, but I remember people talking about how shit it was at the time. It sounds even worse than I remember it being.

Verdict - Rubbish


The tune which knocked Whitney Houston off number one which everybody sang "there's no lyrics" to. I'm terrible at making out lyrics in songs and I remember being criticised for not knowing the words to the other bit she sings and remember other people telling me what the words were. My thoughts were they would have been better of genuinely having no lyrics.

Verdict - Rubbish


This is the record Shabba Ranks is best known for. It only made number 23 the first time round but then returned to the charts in 1993 when it made number 3. During the time between this he made his infamous appearance on "The Word" which I thought killed his career but it seemed to have the opposite effect. It's good in a 90s nostalgia sort of way.

Verdict - Good


I don't think anyone knew the words to this when it came out, but in the chorus people would sing "I'll lick your bum bum now". I always assumed they weren't the real lyrics and with the benefit of the internet I can see it's "A licky boom boom down". It's regarded by many as a bit of a joke record but I always quite liked it and I challenge anyone to singalong word for word, I'm sure most would struggle.

Verdict - Good


I was yet to enter my phase as a rock purist because when this record came out it was my favourite song. I was such a fan that when I was getting sunglasses to go on holiday I said I wanted sunglasses like Shaggy. 

Verdict - Good


This originally made the Top 40 in 1984 but topped the charts when re-released in 1993 after it featured on the Volkswagen Golf advert. It wasn't until years later that I realised this was an old record. It's a great feel good record.

Verdict - Good

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 15.5/30, or 52%. I get the feeling we'll drop below 50% soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment