Sunday 15 January 2023

Top 30 in 1993 Reviewed: Week 3

Here's my weekly look at the Top 30 from 30 years ago. The plan is for these posts to go out at 17:30 on a Sunday.

Here is the Top 40 in full.

Obviously some of the records will be the same as last week so therefore the review will be the same for these. I've indicated which ones are new so you can skip the others if you read last weeks post.

Once again my opinions are inevitably going to differ from other people, but I'm not trying to convince anyone something is good or rubbish, I'm simply giving my opinion.

So this is the top 30 from this week in 1993 with my verdict on each record:


This was the 29th Top 40 hit for Madonna but just the 3rd that failed to reach the Top 5. That doesn't mean this is any worse that most of her previous records, and it isn't. Then again there is a very small number of Madonna records I actually like and this isn't one of them.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was already 4 years old by the time it came out having featured in the film "The Land Before Time". I do find that fact a little off putting as songs from animated films tend to be a bit crap. Oddly I think I took a liking to this before I realised it was from an animated film. The fact it's not a male/female duet probably helps too.

Verdict - Good


I like both 808 State and UB40. I also like the original of "One In Ten". I don't know what exactly 808 State were trying to do here, but whatever it was it didn't work in my opinion. It just sounds a bit of a mess and doesn't do the original any justice.

Verdict - Rubbish


This was the 40th Top 40 hit for Paul McCartney. Generally speaking when someone is this far into their career and they have a song where they play the acoustic guitar it's a complete bore fest. I can't say that for this record though. Despite the acoustic guitar its quite uplifting. Doesn't have enough about it for me to truly like it though.

Verdict - OK


Sultans Of Ping FC are best known for "Where's Me Jumper" but that was never a Top 40 hit. This record was their only Top 40 hit. It sounds like it could have come out in the late 70s but in a piss take sort of way. 

Verdict - Rubbish


The The are a band who I regard as being an 80s band but they had the bulk of their Top 40 hits in the 90s beginning with this. They're also a band I remember more for simply existing than for any of their music. This ones not bad, but I won't be in a hurry to listen to it again.

Verdict - OK


This was recorded in 1986 for the album "Protest Songs" which wasn't released until 1989 and then this was released as a single to promote their greatest hits album of the same name. As I write this I find myself still singing the chorus in my head and almost want to listen again.

Verdict - Good 


There were more rave Top 40 hits in 1992 than any other year. The number of hits did notably dwindle towards the end of the year though and cheesy crap like this ensured it wouldn't come back. It's basically a take on "Sailing" by Sutherland Brothers with the word "we are sailing" replaced with "we are raving". It really is as bad as it sounds.

Verdict - Rubbish


I know this song because it's on the "Funky Divas" album which I own, but I didn't realise it had been a single. I do recall being in the shop one day and this being played in there which somewhat surprised me, but as it was a single that made sense. 

Verdict - Good 


SOUL SYSTEM was another alias of Robert Clivilles and David Cole. The chorus is from "Lovely Day" by Bill Withers and the verses have some pretty dreadful rapping on them. An absolutely terrible record.

Verdict - Rubbish


One of the songs from "The Bodyguard" soundtrack which isn't by Whitney Houston. It's much better than Whitney's chart topper, but that's not saying much. It's uplifting, but there's no wow factor to it, just pretty average but pleasant enough. 

Verdict - OK


I would say "Out Of Space" is the record The Prodigy are best remembered for from this particular era. The beats in this tune are really something, which is easy to forget when you hear it so much. "Ruff In The Jungle Bizness" is one of those tunes that just goes to another level once the piano kicks in. 

Verdict - Good / Good


Gloria Estefan had 19 Top 40 hits in the 90s, many of which are long forgotten. The only one that managed to make the Top 10 though was a megamix of her 80s hits. Whilst I do prefer her 80s hits generally speaking I don't like them enough to like this megamix.

Verdict - Rubbish


Despite the fact this record came out at a time when I was very much following the charts and "Sledgehammer" came out just before my music memories begin I still find myself getting the 2 records mixed up. According to one of the video comments Peter Gabriel wrote this as a reaction to the critics saying all his songs sound the same. It's not a bad sound for all your songs though.

Verdict - OK


The first new Top 30 hit of 1993 is the solo debut for Apache Indian. It's basically Asian influence reggae music which makes it interesting. That said, it doesn't make me think wow what a tune. Despite being a bit different it does sound a bit generic. 

Verdict - OK


This was one of my favourites at the time. I quite liked that strange combination of music that sounded quite soulful with a singing who's only really half singing. 

Verdict - Good


We're into the final year of Stock and Waterman having hits which begins with this. It sounds like Stock and Waterman had little to do with it though, it's a cover and production was done by West End aka Eddie Gordon amongst others who were uncredited. That would explain why this record is actually quite good.

Verdict - Good


As well as listening to this record I've just listened to the Marianne Faithfull original for the first time to see how they compare. Both are pretty dark records and the vocals are similar on both versions. Sunscreem have made it their own with the rest of the music though. Some may argue that's what's ruined the record, but I like it.

Verdict - Good


It seems pretty common for a rock bands biggest hit to be a ballad. This is true for Little Angels with this being their highest charting Top 40 hit and first to make the Top 20. Both this and their previous ballad "I Ain't Gonna Cry" were the only Little Angels Top 40 hits written solely by Toby Jepson so it would seem he's good at doing that.

Verdict - Good


I have no memory of this record or this band existing. They're an Irish indie band and this was their only Top 40 hit. It sounds pretty similar to "Sit Down" by James which is a record I don't like. It's a prime example of why indie music can be perceived as being boring.

Verdict - Rubbish


Jesus Jones were one of those groups who blended rock and dance music. This record leans more towards rock but was made using the sort of technology dance music was using which is something I like the idea of. 

Verdict - Good


This was the only Pop Will Eat Itself hit that made the Top 10, but at the same time they were dropped by their record label. Like with other groups who blended rock with dance their sound was getting darker, but still sounding decent.

Verdict - Good


Literally everyone I knew at the time loved this record. Some even went as far as saying Charles & Eddie were their favourite band based on this record alone. I was no exception, I loved this record too. 

Verdict - Good


The Shamen could do no wrong in 1992 it would seem. I would say this is the best of their 1992 hits, possibly helped by the fact it hasn't fallen victim to anthem bashing. At the time I misheard the lyrics to the chorus as being "we are the burger people". 

Verdict - Good


The highest charting Top 40 hit for Faith No More which is a cover of the Commodores record. It did find it somewhat questionable initially but hearing the guitar solo in it convinced me. "Be Aggressive" has aggressive vocals but the music not so much, but decent tune nonetheless. 

Verdict - Good / Good


I did like this record at the time. So much so that when we voted for what charity to support at school I picked "Heal The World" on the basis of this song. These days though I can't tolerate songs like this. 

Verdict - Rubbish


I would say "Mr. Wendal" is one of those records that's got better with age. I liked it at the time, but later on in life I'm realising what a strange record it is, but in a good way. "Revolution" was one I don't ever remember hearing at the time, but I do know it now. It was looking like it wasn't on YouTube when I searched for it, so I went to Google to search and a YouTube video was the first result. Again a decent record.

Verdict - Good / Good


It was around the time this record came out that it was established that if you were a boy you weren't supposed to like Take That. At the same time, this was the first Take That record I actually liked. I wouldn't admit it at the time but I admit it now.

Verdict - Good


I did like this record at the time but haven't heard it since. I was expecting not to like it now though as I've become much less tolerant of eurodance in general, but I was pleasantly surprised to find I still like it. The fact it's breakbeat rather than the kick drum probably helps, but it sounds like a proper dance record.

Verdict - Good


You couldn't escape this record at the time, it was everywhere. I recall "The Bodyguard" film which this was taken from being massive as well. Let's just say the film was much better than the song.

Verdict - Rubbish

If we give the records which were good 1 point each and those which were OK half a point, the final score is 18.5/30, or 62%. Looks like the Christmas blip is truly behind us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment