Tuesday 31 January 2023

25 Years Since....January 1998

Time to turn the clock back to 1998 for the first time:

Lighthouse Family - High

The Lighthouse Family were never a cool band to like and that coupled with the fact I was still a raver had made me resist their records. That was until this record came out.

I couldn't help but like it, I thought it was a very soothing record. I also managed to own said song as part of a compilation I bought a couple of years later.

David Holmes - Don't Die Just Yet

Around this time the rave music I was listening to was getting harder and faster. Not just the music direction, but I was also finding myself more drawn towards the gabber side of things. I learned that what I also needed was some chill out music to counter that.

This record fitted that bill. The fact it was by David Holmes who also made more banging music would have no doubt helped.

Industry Standard - Industry Standard Volume 1 (What You Want What You Need)

One thing to remember about rave is that it doesn't refer to one specific genre. Hardcore is the obvious music that fits under the term rave, but I also considered garage to fit under it too, least of all because it wasn't unusual to find a garage room at a rave.

This was one of the garage records that made it into the mainstream. Pretty much all the garage records that broke through in those days was decent.

Somore - I Refuse (What You Want) ft Damon Trueitt

This was basically the same record as the Industry Standard one.


The Heartists - Belo Horizonti



One of the records from 1997 that I featured was "Samba De Janeiro" by Bellini. This is basically the same record except this was the original that just charted later.

No comments:

Post a Comment