Thursday 26 January 2023

Christmas Charts Rated: 2008

 Top 40

Best Song: ?????????????

You can probably tell where this is going, but it was impossible for me to single one record out as being the best so I've ended up deciding not to pick one.

Worst Song: Beyonce - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Again so many worthy choices for worst song, but I've gone for this Beyonce record. She had 3 records in this Top 40 which were all contenders, but this one has edged it. The main reason takes me back to going on holiday a few years ago when one afternoon I decided to chill out at the hotel. My room was next to the pool and bar and the hotel manager thought it would be a good idea to play this record on repeat. I had to change my plans and go out and about after a few too many listens.

Top 40 Review

There were less Christmas songs in the 2008 Top 40 vs 2007. There were the usual suspects of Wham, Mariah Carey, Pogues and Wizzard. There was also Peter Kay as Geraldine with "Once Upon A Christmas Song" and Bandaged with "Little Drummer Boy" and Basshunter with his cheesy eurodance version of "Jingle Bells". Again all zeroes.

Basshunter had another hit in the charts with "I Miss You" too whilst there were also multiple hits from Rihanna, Girls Aloud and Kings of Leon. All zeroes again.

Alexandra Burke won the X Factor that year and score the Christmas number one with "Hallelujah". As a result both the Leonard Cohen and Jeff Buckley versions also entered the charts. I can't say I like that song in any form though.

Another record in the Top 40 was the god awful remake of "Infinity" with vocals that was credited to The Guru Josh Project.

Take That had gone shit again with "Greatest Day" whilst there was another man band in there in Boyzone with the record "Better" which isn't any better than the music from their boy band days.

I should also be talking about the positives of this Top 40, but the reason I couldn't pick a best song is because there is absolutely nothing I like about this Top 40 so it gets a big fat zero.

Score: 0

Table

2008 is joint bottom of the table and is obviously worst than the best year score:



No comments:

Post a Comment