Thursday 27 January 2022

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2014

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Sigma - Nobody To Love

I first heard this in a High Contrast set. It got quite a reaction. I had no idea at the time that this was a chart topping record. It does have the makings of a chart record though, but in an acceptable sort of way. I can't say the same for the other Sigma records I've heard.

Worst Song: Iggy Azalea ft Charli XCX - Fancy

I was aware of Iggy Azalea, a female rapper from Australia. I couldn't name any of her records though. If this is anything to go by then that's a good thing. I can't figure out whether she wants to be taken seriously as a rapper or if she's just taking the piss. It certainly sounds like the latter. 

Top 40 Review

In 2004 I asked an older work colleague whether he knew a record that was in the Top 40 at the time. He said no, he hadn't followed the Top 40 for years. 10 years later I found someone asking me what I thought of the number one record, but I had no idea what it was.

Picking the best record for this Top 40 was an easy choice, it was the only record to get full marks. It was also the only drum & bass record in that Top 40.

Electropop/EDM/Ed Sheeran & his clones took up approximately half of this Top 40. There is a solitary half mark from that lot which goes to "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit. The instrumental is a great tune but the actual charting tune had been ruined by the vocals which downgrades it to a half mark.

The new music coming in to take some of the electropop/EDM/Ed Sheeran & his clones share and another trio of genres. They are deep house, tropical house and future house. These are a lot more mellow than your generic EDM and as a result they're a lot less irritating. The downside though is that it can be a bit weak and lacking in substance.

There are however 2 records from that lot which get half marks which are "Waves" by Mr Probz and "Jubel" by Klingande. 

The rest of the charts are really a blend of pop and R&B and all crap. The nearest we get to rock music is 5 Seconds Of Summer who are basically a more modern Busted/McFly so a bit pathetic really. Finally, no rap records at all in this Top 40.

Once again the score is terrible.

Score: 2.5

Table

We are improving, but ever so slightly:



No comments:

Post a Comment