Thursday 20 January 2022

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2013

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Daft Punk ft Pharrell - Get Lucky

This was my record of the year for 2013. Daft Punk were pretty much the only commercial dance act who didn't descend into shitness at the height of EDM in my opinion. This is probably the last decent tune Pharrell did as well. 

Worst Song: Kesha ft Will I Am - Crazy Kids

I get the impression there is a hidden message in here. You basically have to be a crazy kid to think this record is any good. Both Kesha and Will I Am have been responsible for some pretty dreadful records but this is just about the worst.

Top 40 Review

In 2013 I went to a quiz which had a music round. That was the part I was looking forward to the most and the one the rest of the team were relying on me for the answers. However, it was a name the tune after a short clip round and I didn't know any of them because it was all modern.

I initially thought I'd got one when I heard the main riff to "Better Off Alone" by Alice Deejay but it turned out to be David Guetta murdering it. That very record is in the Top 40.

There is less EDM and electropop than the previous couple of years although there's still more of it than anything else. In it's place is more Ed Sheeran and his clones. 

Rudimental are still in the Top 40 with "Feel The Love" and they're also in the chart with "Waiting All Night" and there's another drum & bass record from Chase & Status with "Lost And Not Found". Like I mentioned in my 2012 review though it's basically pop music with a drum & bass beat and not to my liking.

Aside from Daft Punk there is just one other record that I like which is "Pompeii" by Bastille. Aside from that none of the other records even get half marks.

Given the big fat zero 2012 scored the 2013 score almost seems respectable. 

Score: 2

Table

Despite the improvement on 2012, 2013 is the 2nd worst score so far:



No comments:

Post a Comment