Thursday 6 January 2022

UK Charts Best Year Search: 2011

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

This record was also in the 1988 Top 40 I looked at. It wasn't even a real contender for best song in that chart, but now it's up against lots of modern rubbish it's easily the best record. It returned to the Top 40 thanks to someone singing it on "Britain's Got Talent".  

Worst Song: Inna - Sun Is Up

Before EDM became a thing you had some pretty dreadful eurodance music in the charts such as Cascada. This record somehow manages to incorporate the two. I do remember Inna on the music channels and thinking all her records sound the same and they're everything that's wrong with dance music.

Top 40 Review

By 2011 I had absolutely no idea what was in the Top 40 anymore. I remember for example the chart topper Jason Derulo existing but couldn't tell you any of his records. 

I count 27 records in this Top 40 that fall under EDM or electropop. It's a collective zero for all of them. I was really losing the will to live listening to what sounded like the same record over and over again.

Outside of those 27 records there are two from the borefest that is Adele and a record from an almost as boring Ed Sheeran. 

A strong contender for worst song was "Price Tag" by Jessie J ft BoB which I heard all the time when I was on holiday that year. 

There was one record other than Tracy Chapman that I liked in this Top 40 which was "Lighters" by Bad Meets Evil ft Bruno Mars. Bad Meets Evil is a duo that features Eminem, it seems like we're going to be relying on him for the good records in these more modern charts.

We also have "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People which I thought was OK. 

In summary by not knowing what was in the charts anymore I really wasn't missing out on anything. It really was a terrible chart.

Score: 2.5

Table

No surprise to see that 2011 is bottom:



No comments:

Post a Comment