Thursday 23 September 2021

UK Charts Best Year Search: 1996

What's this all about?

Top 40

Best Song: Pianoman - Blurred

The record gets it's title due to the sample of "Girls & Boys" by Blur. Whilst its the most obvious bit that's been sampled, it's far from being just a blatant rip off. It's basically it's own tune with the vocal sample thrown in and I do remember considering it more or less the best commercial record out there at the time.

Worst Song: Louise - Naked

When Louise left Eternal in 1995, it didn't seem to make much difference at all. They would have a further 9 Top 40 hits of which all but the last made the Top 10. I'd speculate most people remember Louise having 1 or 2 hits before becoming best known as Jamie Redknapps wife. Unbelievably, she had 12 Top 40 hits spanning 8 years. This is probably the only one most remember and it's fuckin awful.

Top 40 Review

In 1996 I was mainly listening to underground rave music and the only commercial records I'd really entertain were dance records. The closest rival for best song was "There's Nothing I Won't Do" by JX.

Stretching that definition somewhat by including cheesy eurodance music, I always quite liked "Ooh Aah... Just A Little Bit" by Gina G. The only other records in this Top 40 I liked at the time were "Vicious Circles" by Poltergeist and "Dreamtime" by Zee.

However, if I was to be honest with myself there were many more records in this Top 40 that I like. I hated "Surprise" by Bizarre Inc at the time because of how different it was to their earlier material, but I grew to like it and even bought the album. Likewise, I hated "Fable" by Robert Miles for being an inferior follow up to "Children" but again I grew to like it and bought the album.

There was the debut hit for The Divine Comedy "Something For The Weekend" which I've always liked really and I own the album it's on. The R Kelly record "Thank God It's Friday" completely passed me by at the time but I now own the album that's on too.

Even with brit pop which I absolutely hated at the time, I've always quite liked "Female Of The Species" by Space. After not hearing it for 25 years, I'm finding myself liking "Tattva" by Kula Shaker.

There's also records I hated at the time that I still think are crap. With Euro 96 being around the same time, there are 3 football records in there and I've said before that football and music don't mix. There's dreary crap from Celine Dion and Mariah Carey and the novelty record "Tell Him" by Quentin & Ash aka Dorothy and Deborah from Men Behaving Badly.

The good does outweigh the crap though resulting in a decent score for the year.

Score: 21

Table

At least half the 90s years will get at least half marks, no prizes for guessing which decade I grew up in:



No comments:

Post a Comment